close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

localhost vs. remote server

Thread began 1/07/2010 4:12 am by chris396479 | Last modified 1/08/2010 1:08 pm by Office Guy-172461 | 3579 views | 5 replies |

chris396479

localhost vs. remote server

Trying to follow instructions...I have attempted to use a static address in the 'From' tab and the 'to tab' and failed to sumbit the form - something I am not 'getting' here.
I have a localhost PHP/MySQL to test the site - can this work with the extension or is that not possible due to the fact its on the localhost (me) and not actually live? Therefore the site must be live to work.... its logical captain... (?)

I managed to import the free MySQL tables from WebAssist - would it help if I communicated with that? (after putting data in the table - with recordsets I presume).

Anyone who manages to get this up and running on the first, second or third attempt deserves a medal for reading between the lines or its just I have a very little brain!

If I get this to work I'll think I'm Einstein! (For sure!)

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

Don't forget that you need a working email server to send email. That might be the difference between remote and local.

See:

How to set up a local testing server for Dreamweaver
144/

You don't say what you are trying to do or the errors you're getting.

chris396479

loclhost/email server set-up

Thanks for the link (I have read/printed off the info).
I am connected to a MySQL database on my localhost which is where the 'working email server' should be... but its not 'Powerstore' just the blank tables from WebAssist... its no good blank nes pa, so I will need to make a recordset?

I loaded the form and got no errors so that says it all! The Submit button did not work or at least had no code or something elementary like that.

I have gone through the tutorials in DWCS3 The Missing Manual more than once and I have discovered I'm thicker than I thought!

However, I will persevere and re-do the tutorials - it looks like I am missing the program to process the form so I will have to design that next - I think!? Would you concur sir!

Talk about confusing!

Office Guy-172461

which is where the 'working email server' should be  

There is no default email server in a local environment. You have to install it if you want one. I test all of my email related routines on my web server because I don't want an email server running on my local machine.

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do, but if you want a simple contact form you would:

1. Create a form
  2. Use Universal Email to send the contents by email

If you want to store the contents of the form in a database, you would then use one of the databases from WA or create your own.

PHP is what is used to process the the code. Apache is what processes the standard html. MySQL is the database for storing data.

chris396479

Thankyou for your patience and insight. Excellent concise definitions.

So, I create ANY form with Form Builder extension (which are all different designs of CONTACT form right?) - then I 'configure the form to send email' - so the contents (on the most basic level) are simply sent by email, to an email address, with no crunching in a database... aaaahhh... and as you say the testing can only be done properly on the live web server itself.

You say databases from WA - how many types are there from WA? I am attempting (cough) to head in the direction of - prepare yourself - eCommerce - eCart territory so the ducks need to be in line.

Thanks for your time!

Office Guy-172461

Contact Solution form was created by Form Builder.

Have a look here:
tutorials-and-training/

Take a look at:
eCommerce mySQL Database

and

Database Starter Kit for PHP (a free video tutorial)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...