close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Validate a field from a recordset

Thread began 12/28/2009 12:01 pm by jebrandon343719 | Last modified 12/28/2009 5:32 pm by Dani Chankhour | 1736 views | 7 replies |

jebrandon343719

Validate a field from a recordset

Hi,
I have an insert page to insert a 'product'. A Supplier cannot insert a product without a valid supplier number. I wish to validate the first field on my insert page - 'Supplier Number' by looking up a (Suppliers) recordset.
I know I could use a drop down list and popluate it from the recordset, but I dont wish to do this.

I want to be able to add some kind of behaviour - on blur - to lookup the suppliers recordset and display a message if not a valid supplier.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Please help!

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

Do you have Validation Toolkit or Form Builder (which have Validation Toolkit)?

jebrandon343719

Yes

Yes, I have all webassist extensions

Dani Chankhour

Very good.

The first thing you will to do is add the suppliers record set to you insert page. In the record set window add a filter. Select the Supplier Number column and use "=" and then select Form Variable and type the name of the Supplier Number input field you have in the insert page.

Second, Select the error message that you want to display, and in the Server Behaviors Panel (Window -> Server Behaviors) click the + button and choose Show Region and select Show if Record Set is not empty.

Last, you will need to add the same condition to the DataAssist Insert Server Behavior. Basically copy the top line of the show if server behavior which look something like this:

<?php if ($totalRows_WAContents > 0) { // Show if recordset not empty ?>

and place it at the top of the DataAssist insert Server behavior. So you should have something like this:

<?php if ($totalRows_WAContents == 0) { // Show if recordset empty ?>
<?php
// WA Application Builder Insert
if (isset($_POST["Insert_x"])) // Trigger
{

and you will also need to need to add this line to the bottom of the DataAssist Insert Server Behavior:

<?php } // Show if recordset not empty ?>

If you have any question about these steps, please send me your insert page in a zip and i should be able to assist you. Please remember that the code i have above is an example and the names will be different.

jebrandon343719

Not quite there

Hi dani,

I get what you are doing here, however, it would appear backto front to me.

I need to display "Not a valid Supplier number" and only insert a record if the supplier number entered is valid.

I would have expected this
For form element

<?php if ($totalRows_rs_suppliers == 0) { // Show if recordset empty ?>
Not a valid Supplier Number
<?php } // Show if recordset empty ?>

On Insert
if ($totalRows_rs_suppliers > 0) { // Insert if recordset not empty
// WA Application Builder Insert

Either way it is not working for me. I have attched code if you wish to have a look.

Note : I am looking up 'suppliers' (sslsuppliers)for validation and inserting into 'product labels' (ssllabel )
Thanks

Attached Files
label_Insert.zip

Dani Chankhour

You almost have it right, it looks like you just need to switch the conditional statement. So yo should have:

<?php if ($totalRows_rs_suppliers > 0) { // Show if recordset not empty ?>
Not a valid Supplier Number
<?php } // Show if recordset empty ?>

and

if ($totalRows_rs_suppliers == 0) { // Show if recordset empty
for the insert server behavior.

jebrandon343719

Still no joy

Hi Dani,

I still havent got this right.
I amended my code as above. When I input a valid supplier - no record gets inserted. When I put an invalid code in, a record Does get inserted. So its the wrong way around!

Also, I didnt get a error message for my invalid supplier. Either way, the message is never displayed!
Is this the error message in the correct place???

I have attached the updated code.
Thanks for the help!

Attached Files
label_Insert.zip

Dani Chankhour

I have opened a support ticket to further assist you:

supporthistory.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...