close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Protecting images from copy or download

Thread began 12/24/2009 10:18 am by WilliFixit | Last modified 12/25/2009 4:34 pm by Office Guy-172461 | 3600 views | 6 replies |

WilliFixit

Protecting images from copy or download

I will be posting images using the PowerGallery but I have a specific restriction on the images. I must prevent them from being downloaded or copied. Essentially I want to prevent the user from right clicking on the image and copying.

I tried in the demo galleries (index.php?gallery=6&theme=dark) and found that I could NOT copy the image directly (GOOD for me) but that I could right click and "Save target as...". This let me save the index.htm to my desktop and when I launched that link I could get full access to the images and copy them.

What is the best way for me to protect my images from copying?

Sign in to reply to this post

gruant2000381341

Sadly, there really is no absolute way to do this. You could google "disable right click javascript" and you will find a few ways....but people can also find directions on how to disable that js. I have looked and looked in the past for a way to do just what you are needing...but never found a reliable way. Some people put their image as a background in a table, then put a transparent gif image over it....that helps..but you can still get around that. If someone really wants it, they can always find a way...be it through screen shots, or snagit, snipping tool...there are just tons of things to help people find ways around any security you may implement. Sorry for the bad news, but maybe someone will come out with something...who knows.

WilliFixit

Thanks, gruant...

I know that there are always "ways" for people to get around things, especially using a screen capture program. I just want to make it more difficult for people to do.

I have used flash tools before, which work nicely...I was just hoping that this tool could provide something to help. Hopefully others will come up with some ideas in this case.

Pro Covers FX

Images

Hi,

Search for protecting images there is a way to do it using another blank gif file etc. if they right click it sends this other blank image instead of the true image.

Enjoy
Pro Covers FX

Office Guy-172461

You are likely to just irritate your users using these techniques. If it's on the web, it available to whoever decides to take it. The watermark in PowerGallery is a good compromise because people can see it upfront so they they're less likely to get mad, than when things don't work as expected.

If you are selling images, keep the full resolution images off the web altogether. Nothing makes me leave a site faster than one that messes with my browser tools.

gruant2000381341

I agree, I don't like when people mess with my browser also. But at the same time, I understand what they are trying to do most of the time. As far as the watermark, if you have photoshop. a watermark is easily (usually) removed. There is also watermark removal software, you just can't stay ahead of people anymore.

Office Guy-172461

Yes it's easy to apply and easy to remove, but it takes an intentional act to remove a watermark. It's like the old adage - locks help keep the honest people honest. Any form of protection can be defeated with enough time and effort.

You have to decide whether it's more important to serve your visitors, or spend your efforts trying to thwart something you have no control over.

GettyImages uses watermarks and they're in the business of selling their images.

I would rather spend my time giving people a reason to visit my site than worry about someone stealing parts of it. That's really the only way you can stay ahead of them.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...