close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Validation Response Behavior Not Displaying

Thread began 12/22/2009 4:11 pm by georgehayes205232 | Last modified 12/23/2009 11:02 am by georgehayes205232 | 3418 views | 6 replies |

georgehayes205232

Validation Response Behavior Not Displaying

I am at a loss. I have successfully configured client side validation with a previous version of the Validation Toolkit (VT) but I cannot seem to get the validation response behavior to display for my registration form.

Here's what I use: Dreamweaver CS4; VT 2.3.5; MySQL; PHP; testing w/ IE8 and Safari.
Here is the URL: njjbareg.php

In my database, I have several fields that cannot be null. I configured VT with a validation behavior of Required as well as some other behaviors (ex. - alphanumeric). When I test the form leaving the first "required" field blank, rather than getting the alert with the header, footer, and a list of all validations that have failed, I get the following single line in the browser:

Column 'Player_First_Name' cannot be null

This is the field name from the database!

I've searched the forum and fixed several errors in the validation setup. For example, I had two form element names beginning with a number so I changed that. But I cannot find anything specific to my problem.

I can't figure out what the problem is. I am going to start from scratch (ahhh!).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is an error that is associated with your database. You are probably inserting the results of the form into a database, the column "Player_First_Name" you have marked as not allowing null entries... it only happens when you leave that field blank.

The underlying problem is that no validation is taking place at all... looking at your page it doesn't appear you have any form validation applied. I looked and the form doesn't have an onsubmit event where the code would usually be added.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

georgehayes205232

Thank you for your quick response.

I have determined that when I build the client validation behaviors the correct form name is not being populated into the onsubmit= code.

Number 1 is an example of what is being generated:
1 - WAValidateRQ(document.form[0].FiftyStates,'- Entry is required'

Number 2 is the manual overide; I am entering the form name (reg2010):
2 - WAValidateRQ(document.reg2010.FiftyStates,'- Entry is required'

When I manually change form[0] to reg2010 (the form name) the validation actually works.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong that the actual form name is not being populated into the onsubmit= code? The wizard shows the form name throughout the build process.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you get FormBuilder, which has replaced validation toolkit, it will use the form name instead of the form array index.

What version of validation toolkit do you have instaled?

does it say: form[0]
or: forms[0]

it may work if you update it to forms[0] as well. Since it is the first (and only) form on the page, either syntax should actually work.

I'd make sure you have the most recent version of the extension installed, and if you do I guess it could be a bug that we would have to look into and fix.

georgehayes205232

Thanks again for your quick response.

It actually says forms[0].

I am using VT 2.3.5.

When I change all occurrences of forms[0] to the form name (reg2010) everything appears to work fine.

I'll take a look at Form Builder; however from your perpsective, as a short term workaround, should this work OK? Can you think of any problems this could cause?

Thanks again for your support.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

No, in the short term your work around will be fine (it is what I would do if I had the problem and didn't own FormBuilder)... as I mentioned we actually use that new syntax when applied in form builder.

I still don't know why it wouldn't work in the first place since the only reason why it would break in my opinion is if there were another form above it, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

georgehayes205232

Ray,

Thank you for your support. I'm under the gun to get this registration active and your quick and informative responses were very helpful.

I bought the Super Suite a few years ago and I'll continue to upgrade and add to my WebAssist software tools. I love the products.

Thanks again and have a great holiday.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...