close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Unable to make relative link using the editor

Thread began 12/18/2009 5:22 am by jimraff67902 | Last modified 12/30/2009 4:20 pm by Eric Mittman | 4372 views | 5 replies |

jimraff67902

Unable to make relative link using the editor

I want to create a simple link to a page within the site using the standard FCKeditor.

The Link--Webpage Dialog window opens and I click on the "Browse Server" button but an error message pops up with the following text:

Error creating folder "/home/sites/etc..../web/file/" (mkdir() [<a href='plugins/function.mkdir'>function.mkdir</a>]:Permission denied)

How do I fix this? My server uses PHP and Linux and I have full root access to change directory or file permissions - but I do not want to give permission to the powercms admin person to create new directories etc on my server!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It is trying to create a directory named "file" in the "web" directory, it is trying to create this directory because it does not already exist. You could create it manually to prevent the FCKEditor from trying to create it.

jimraff67902

Unable to create link to local file

Hi Jason,

I have created a folder called "file" within the "web" directory but I get a message "invalid file type" if I try to upload a file from within Dreamweaver. In any case the file already exists within the site - I do not want to duplicate it in another folder!

Here is the Dreamweaver CS4 file architecture which is identical on the server:

site -mywebsite.com (C:\etc\etc.........)
index.php
file_being_edited _within_PowerCMS.php
file_I want_to_link_to.php

What I want is a simple relative link of the form <a href="file_I want_to_link_to.php">text_that _makes_the_link</a>

The hyperlink is being made within the text of the "mainContent" element of the page being edited.

When I click on the icon I see the Link--Webpage Dialog window which has an address fckdialog.html but I cannot use the "browse" button to locate the target file on the server. I get a new window with a file upload panel whose address is connector.php.

The file addressed ../../../../default/browser.html will not appear in Dreamweaver. I get frmresourcetype.html instead. The javascript link in browser.html includes this redirect.

So how do I fix this?

Eric Mittman

When you are getting the invalid file type message please describe exactly what you are doing and where you are at when this occurs.

You should be able to use the link button to insert a link to a page. If the page already exists on the server you should be able to select 'Browse Server' to select the file. What happens for you when you attempt to browse the server?

You can also just add in a link yourself to the page by changing the protocol to <other> and just specifying the relative path to the page from where this page will be served from on the site.

jimraff67902

Unable to create link to local file

This is the sequence:

1. Open the admin home page in IE8 and select a page to edit - works OK: 3 editable areas are PageTitle, Intro and mainContent
2. Click on edit/update icon for mainContent - works OK: shows some text.
3. Highlight a small piece of text and then click on the Insert/Edit link icon on the toolbar
4. Link--WepageDalog window pops up.
5. Hilite the "URL" dropdown and leave the "Protocol" selected as "http://" then click on "Browse Server"
6 A new window appears with the address "http://www.mywebsite.com/WA_iRite/editor/filemanager/default/browser.html?Connector=../../connectors/php/connector.php". No files from the server are listed in this window - is this the problem?

This window shows an open folder icon next to a dropdown arrow (nothing happens when this is clicked). A left-hand panel has the heading "Resource Type" with a drop down containing "file, image,flash, media. The bottom of the window contains an image "Create a New Folder", an input field with the title "Upload a new file in this folder" and "Browse" and Upload" buttons".

If I then browse to a local file on my PC and try to upload it I get the error box "Invalid file".
If I try to create a new folder I can open a dialog box to type in the new folder name but if I submit this I get the error message "You have no permissions to create the folder".

Eric Mittman

When you are in the link view and browse the server you should make sure to select file from the select list at the top. This should allow you to upload any of the allowed file type:

'7z', 'aiff', 'asf', 'avi', 'bmp', 'csv', 'doc', 'fla', 'flv', 'gif', 'gz', 'gzip', 'jpeg', 'jpg', 'mid', 'mov', 'mp3', 'mp4', 'mpc', 'mpeg', 'mpg', 'ods', 'odt', 'pdf', 'png', 'ppt', 'pxd', 'qt', 'ram', 'rar', 'rm', 'rmi', 'rmvb', 'rtf', 'sdc', 'sitd', 'swf', 'sxc', 'sxw', 'tar', 'tgz', 'tif', 'tiff', 'txt', 'vsd', 'wav', 'wma', 'wmv', 'xls', 'xml', 'zip'

If the file type you are trying to upload is not in this list it can be added so you can upload that type of file.

Do you have anything specified in your globals file for the relative images path? If so do you see the contents of this directory when you select image as the type at the top of this browse window? When I change the list to file type I can see the root of my site and all of the files and folders within it, what do you see when you have files selected?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...