close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Problems when adding file attachment option

Thread began 12/13/2009 3:07 pm by petermac | Last modified 1/25/2010 12:58 pm by Eric Mittman | 3863 views | 16 replies |

Peter

Problems when adding file attachment option

The form page re-directs just fine to the thank you page UNTIL I try to add a file upload feature using digital file pro 2. Specifically, when using the DFP directions for including attachments with the email form. When I follow those instructions and complete the form, it re-directs to a blank page. I notice the address in the tab rather than just referring to the page name, now includes the entire address to my local testing server (localhost). Any insights about what may be happening would be greatly appreciated. Been toying with this form longer than I planned. Thanks.
Peter

Sign in to reply to this post

Peter

I'd really like a WA response today please. Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you haven't already, please read our Support policy:
showthread.php?t=4214

We offer support during the hours of 9am - 5pm PST. Monday through Friday. Please be a little patent on Monday morning as we experience a backlog from the weekend.

You had another thread opened with the same issue reported. My response there was to add code at line 1 to turn error reporting on:

php:
<?php
error_reporting
(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors','on');
?>

Peter

In fairness, that was an earlier issue. I also ask for patience. I donate this kind of work to others and have to fit it into the rest of my life, including my day job and family life. It's been a while since I've asked for support from WA. In the past I was able to submit an incident (question) to tech support at any time as I recall and usually got a response quite quickly. Now I have to wait until the weekend is over for someone to help, which I didn't know about and was needing some resolution before too long. I wasn't meaning to sound unfairly impatient, just wanted you to know my need. And frankly I've got enough reading in my life that I have no desire to read the WA support policy. I'm thick enough to think of myself as just a customer-a good one at that-needing support without a lot of excess inconvenience on my part. I just want timely support, which you are helping with and I appreciate it. Just want a bit of understanding from the other end. Thanks... and sorry for the soapbox!
Peter

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It's quite OK, I just wanted to make sure that you where aware of the policy so that your expectations would be in line with what we offer.

Even in the old closed support system, our policy was the same, we had the same business hours of Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm PST.

caryn191788

send attachments with the email

Good Afternoon,

I have been using the contact form solution pack for over a year. I have success with it most of the time.

My client needs to send attachments with the email. Looking at the WA_Universal_Email/Mail_for_Linux_PHP.php on line 229 >> it looks like this is what I change for this function to work?

After reading PHP code all day I am fairly certain all of the code to send the attachments is here.

How do I make it work?

One more question when adding the text fields to the contact form do I need to use an Upload button or will the files upload automatically when the send button is pressed. (I think the upload button needs to be there - not sure)

I have read through the two PDF's sent with the files and don't seem to find the answer.

I have a testing link @ quoteContact.php

Any help you can share would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you,
Caryn

Eric Mittman

What you have described here where you have a file field on the form to upload a file and send it as an attachment is not something that the contact form solution will do for you. The upload functionality would need to be manually applied using our Digital File Pro tool. You could then configure the email message to contain the newly uploaded file. We have a guide that covers this exact setup but the guide requires you to use the Digital File Pro and Universal Email tools to accomplish this.

dfp_universal_email_attachments.pdf

If you would like to manually add in an attachment to the message you can do so in the WAUE_contact_1.php page, at the top of this page you will see the attachments variable, you can set this variable to be a path to a file to have that file attached to the message. The path must be to the file on the server though. Here is an example of what that might look like:

php:
$MailAttachments = "/home/files/the_file.pdf";

caryn191788

purchased Universal Email & DFP - form works but does not send

Eric,

Thanks for your help. I purchased the two software programs this morning. Right now the testing form will send you to the thank you page and allow you to select attachments.

However no email is ever received and the uploads do not load to the designated 'upload' folder.

That's the first problem. Once that problem is fixed - I need the ability to send multiple attachments from the contact form. I named the first from field 'attachment'. Would I be able to name the next field - attachment2, attachment3, etc?

testing form: quoteform.php
I have changed the email address in the WA_Globals/WA_Globals.php file twice

Any help you could suggest would be appreciated.

Caryn

Eric Mittman

Were you able to use the contact form in it's default state and receive emails? I think it would be best to get that part worked out first.

Did you edit the Universal Email server behavior that is on the page? If so please describe what you did in the server behavior.

As for the file uploads you should go to the bindings tab and expand the WA Upload Files Global Status entry and drag the debug info onto the thank you page then save the page and run a test of the upload. This info should let you know why the file is not being uploaded. If you have trouble determining what the message means post back with what you get from this debug so we can take a look.

caryn191788

Receiving the email only with attachment names no files

Ok I am closer I now receive the email - with the names of the attachments. The attachments are not loading into the upload folder as set in the bindings panel

dfp_universal_email_attachments.pdf

I think the problem is between steps 15-14. I clip the code, go to the server directory click OK, then when I go to PASTE the code into the Server File Name the code there is the same as the code I am suppose to paste.

Am I supposed to have the same thing twice? I only have the first set of code.

I am 100% this is the problem but I have done it 4 times.

I know this is not your fault but I have spent no less than 30 hours and 3 days doing this. When send the answer could you send it in simple form so I can easily follow. :-)

contactus.php (form)

I noticed when I just added an attachment you have a browse button then an upload button. Do I need to have that? Maybe thats whats missing.

Please anything you can help with so I can move on to another project.

thank you,
caryn

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...