close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

UE Sends Fine But Passed Values Lost

Thread began 12/11/2009 2:34 pm by beezodog304808 | Last modified 12/12/2009 8:47 am by beezodog304808 | 1471 views | 3 replies |

beezodog304808

UE Sends Fine But Passed Values Lost

I have a membership form that uses Universal Email.

When the SUBMIT button is clicked the form calls the same page and processes the email successfully.

Then control is passed to a second page where I have another form (full of hidden fields) into which I would like to capture some of the same data used in the already sent email, to forward to PAYPAL.

However once the email has been sent the form of hidden fields is devoid of the data I need

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this because of the way forms work.

When a form is submitted, the form information is available only to the form action page.

Since you are using universal email to send the information, then forwad to another page, the form information cannot be used on the second page, it is destroyed once the action page is finished processing.

You need to use the Cookies Toolkit Set Session Value behavior on the same page as universal email to create a session variable from each from element, on the second page, you can reference the session variables.

To create the set session value behavior, go to the Server Behaviors panel, click the plus button and select WA Cookies Toolkit -> Set Session Value. For the trigger select "Any Form Post. For the value, click the lightning bolt and select a form element. Set the name to the same as the selected form element.

repeat this for each form element you wish to use on the second page.

beezodog304808

Curious outcome?

Thanks for the "heads up" on using the Session variables. I used the SET SESSION VALUE function for each variable I desired to maintain on the second page. Keep in mind that the first page has the form that I want to use to enter my data and upon a SUBMIT I cycle back up to the top of the form page and create the session variables and then Universal Email forwards me to the second page (after sending the email).

What is curious however is that when I reach the second page the $_SESSION["variable_name"] references are EMPTY! I did start the session at the very top of the second page in the event that this had to be done to retrieve the variable values.

I must be doing some amiss. I seldom use PHP, hence my rather daft understanding of all this.

beezodog304808

Found the problem

I read through some of the other threads here and discovered that the name I had used for each of the session variables was the same. So when I fixed that problem everything worked.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...