close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Insert Welcome User message if logged in, or Login link if not

Thread began 12/07/2009 10:52 pm by kimberly300704 | Last modified 12/23/2009 2:14 am by BlackWebDiva | 2858 views | 3 replies |

kimberly300704

Insert Welcome User message if logged in, or Login link if not

I have added User level Authentication to my site. I have a header, which I would like to say "Welcome <username> (logout)", if logged in, and "Login" if not.

When I use the "Show Region" in SA, all I have in the Rules dropdown is the list of users I created for the varying security levels. I no longer have an option for "is logged in to <db>".

How do I adjust the Rules Manager to once again have the "is logged in.." option, if I'm also using User Level Authentication??

Also, how do I get the "Show Region" option to show the Login link, if the user does NOT meet the "is logged in..." rule? I can't figure out what the criteria should be, in the Rules Manager for this, other than the fact that I'm Restricting, rather than Allowing.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

How many rules have you created in the Access Rules Manager?

to recreate the logged in rule, set it to
Allow If
Criteria: Click the lightning bolt and select the user ID session variable
Comparison: Does not equal (Either "<>" or "!=")
Value: Leave this blank, do not enter a value.

to show the welcome message, you will need to store the logged in users name in a session variable. Do this the same way yo stored the Userlevel in a session variable.

Double click the Authenticate user server behavior on the login page. On the third step, click the plus button and select the user name column.

When applying the Security Assist Show region around the login message, chose the Logged into Users rule, when applying the Security Assist Show if around the login button, chose the Not Logged into Users rule.

BlackWebDiva

Thanks so much for your response, Jason.

Unfortunately, I have a slightly different issue (I think). Now I do see the option in the Rules manager, for "Logged in to users" and "Not Logged in to users".

When I select Show Region, then the rule for logged into users (for the Welcome message), it works.

But when I select the rule for "not logged into users" (for the Login link), it doesn't stick.

For some reason, both regions say, <?php if(WA_Auth_RulePasses("Logged in to users")){ // Begin Show Region ?>

Is there possibly something wrong with my Extension??

BlackWebDiva

solved

Ok... I found the issue.

I switched from using the "users" table to the "visitors" table, but my Security Assist files didn't make this update.

So I manually edit HelperGroupsRulesPHP.php to use the visitors table and VisitorID and now my Rules Manager is accurate and seems to be working just as I needed.

Thanks again!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...