close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Duplicate Message-ID problem

Thread began 12/04/2009 12:21 pm by tom113673 | Last modified 5/26/2010 3:01 pm by Jimmy Wu | 3156 views | 11 replies |

tom113673

Duplicate Message-ID problem

A customer of mine has been unable to receive email messages sent via a particular form created using UE. It was puzzling that the message was received without problems using a second email address (on a different server). I finally discovered the answer today. UE sends duplicate Message-IDs in the email header. Someone running the relevant server informed me:

>Badly configured mailservers will not even notice that all messages have the same id.

Server in X's office is capable of verifying if messages have been received already in order to avoid duplications and more importantly e-mail scattering or floods.

All messages originating from the website have the same ID:
854a7c3efa9a932c16c1ac62a2167d83<

I've replaced the following lines in mail_PHP.php (starting at line 185):

/* $theMSGID = $retArray[0][1];
$theMSGID = explode("@", $theMSGID);
$theMSGID = "<".md5($theMSGID[0])."@".$theMSGID[1].">";*/
with:
$len = 20;
$chars = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ";
for($i=0; $i<$len; $i++) $rand_string .= substr($chars,rand(0,strlen($chars)),1);
$theMSGID = "<".$rand_string."@xxx.com>";

There may well be a better way to do this. Perhaps numbers would be sufficient. The original method seems complicated and not effective. As far as I know this hasn't caused problems generally but obvious could. On the other hand my customers do occasionally contact me saying the odd message can't be delivered; of course there can be many reasons - perhaps this is one of them.

Unless there are other issues I'm not aware of, could this be addressed in an update?

Thanks,
Tom

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Thanks for pointing this out, I have submitted a ticket for you on this issue. To check the status of the ticket or update it please login to the site and visit your support history.

tom113673

Thank you for your opening a ticket about this but I don't why this would be useful.

As far as I can see, due to the way UE works it will potentially cause email delivery to fail. This was the case in the example I explained. I also explained how I resolved the issue.

I don't think I've raised a ticket before. I assumed they were for helping people solve problems specific to them. In this case I have solved the problem and it's not specific to me. The issue is type 'Live Page not Working'. The page is working. I don't understand. The ticket asks me to update the incident and supply a telephone number. Why? I have given all the information I have, in sufficient detail I believe.

This seems to be a flaw in the product which is however easy to fix. If I've misunderstood the issue, please let me know. If the point I make is valid, I (and probably others) would like to know if an update will resolve the issue.

Tom Dupre

Jimmy Wu

Yes, this seems to have been a misunderstanding. Since you already resolved the issue on your end, I will log a bug and the issue should be fixed in a future release.

tom113673

Thanks Jimmy. It's good to know the problem will be fixed.

Tom

Jimmy Wu

Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. If you run into any additional issues please make a new forum thread.

tom113673

I know this is an old thread but I've just noticed that this issue has been addressed in UE4 - thanks.

It would be useful if information about fixes were made available (if they are, I would be grateful for a link to the relevant part of the site).

Tom Dupre

Jimmy Wu

For dot releases now, there should be release notes in the download center that go over what has been fixed in that release.

tom113673

Thanks Jimmy. Does this mean no information is available when a new version is released? Eg in this case I think the problem was fixed when UE4 was released.

Jimmy Wu

If you look at the product under the Dreamweaver Extensions portion of our site, you can check the Features tab and check the new features. It won't list all the bugs that were fixed though.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...