close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Where is the text field size for the Captcha and Security answer controlled?

Thread began 12/03/2009 6:51 pm by Stevebo | Last modified 12/08/2009 5:47 pm by Stevebo | 3188 views | 9 replies |

Stevebo

Where is the text field size for the Captcha and Security answer controlled?

When I look at the text field size for the Captcha code that must be entered, as well as the security question's answer text field, they both show up as "formTextfield_Large" in the CSS inspector. Where is this value set and what can I do to make it smaller? The text fields are currently showing up as 252px despite all my other text fields showing up as 240px which I set in Edit Design mode.

I also noticed that the Zip code field is smaller, but no idea where the width for it was controlled either.

I see where I can control the general text field size while using Edit Design and choosing Form Elements with Text, but evidently this setting doesn't apply to all text fields since the zip code text field is smaller than my default 240px and the Captcha code and Security answer are at 252px which is larger.

steve

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

There is another list in the same page of the form design where you choose the size of the field.

When you change a width it only changes that one field size, not all.

You can go through and adjust them all, or go to the form contents and change the size their so they are all the same size to begin with.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Stevebo

Can you tell me (or show me with a picture) where the list is to change individual form field widths? I've looked at the Edit Design mode over and over and still don't see it.

Thanks,

steve

neilo

I'd be interested to see that too. I can't seem to do it with my version of FB (which I believe is the latest). I can choose to (universally) change a field 'type' but not the individual fields, as Ray suggests.

While I'm here: Has anyone had any success in significantly reducing the width of form or a text area? Setting the width in the UI seems to make little difference (either selecting 'small' or setting a width/px). The mechanics of the UI and its effectiveness is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

Supposing I want a form that will fit in a 250px wide column - as far as I can see, this can't easily be done with form-builder. All the FB forms seem to require a near full page to display, even after much fiddly editing.

I find that trying to edit a FB form to present as I would like it (have yet to manage it) is far more time-consuming than creating the form with the standard Dreamweaver insert options, and custom stylesheet which you can then save to your own 'library'. You get more attractive forms, can more easily control individual elements and stay true to the site style.

The validation facility is really useful though, and I use it for any forms I make.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You would have to edit the width of the form, the columns, the labels, and the fields separately in order to effectively shrink the form down.

If you don't update all of them, then the column will stretch the form, or the field and label will stretch the column and the form won't actually shrink in size.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Do you have an example form you created with a style you like? Maybe we'll add it as a preset style in the next release.

neilo

Thanks Ray, that would be cool.

I love simplicity in design, and like my forms to 'blend' in to the site design, as they are merely 'tools' of the site, and not actual features. Simplicity and functionality. Bauhaus.

An example of a simple form (250px wide) would be with labels above the fields to maximise form width, with no label or form-element offsetting. Quick example here:

If there could be just one preset that required no design choices, just plain with the easy ability to specify individual element widths, or elements that could be a percentage of selected form width, that would be excellent.

The form would then take its style from the page, rather than having an identity of its own.

I appreciate your interest!

You will see that with the form I link to, the only css applied to the form is the field widths, top and bottom padding and 1px border.

Edit: A couple of similar examples: Here and Here

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Thank you for the examples. I'll see if we can add some slim forms of this approximate design in the next release.

neilo

Many thanks.

Stevebo

Is there any info regarding where the individual form element widths are set? Would still be interested in seeing that info.

steve

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...