close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Customer Download Gallery

Thread began 12/02/2009 4:17 am by C Claypool | Last modified 12/03/2009 9:13 am by Jason Byrnes | 1568 views | 3 replies |

C Claypool

Customer Download Gallery

Hi ...
I have a vision, but I don't know if it is possible ... I do have the subscription, (and PowerCMS - but somehow I don't think I get to use that!) so if someone could help me figure out the process, I should be able to make it work.

I am a graphic designer and I want to provide a place for people to download their files/proofs. They may have several files they should have access to at once. I am currently just using an online folder/clickable link I give them access to via an email. I would like to better this solution ... I think I see DigitalFilePro in my future as well as SecurityAssist and possibly DataAssist.

From their end, I would like to have them log-in from my site, be taken to their page(es) and be presented with a pleasing array of files which they click and are prompted to save on their desktop (not just the generic file folder listing. I am not trying to add excessive work on my end, so I am not thinking custom thumbnail but maybe something automatically generated from the file?)

From my end, I would like to have an administrative backend where I can upload the file, and designate who gets to see it (so that each clients page is dynamic, not hand coded) I would like to know that the file has been downloaded (the count feature also seems nice)

Does this seem possible without an insane level of work ... I am trying to increase my security for client files, not dramatically increase my day-to-day work, and if possible, make it look pretty from their end (in that order of priority)

Any ideas or workflow suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

First, start with the admin piece.

Create the admin pages using DataAssist so you can upload the files and store them in a database.

You will probably create a Images table a minimum of the following fields:

imageID - PrimaryKey

imageUserID - foreign key relation to the users table. used to relate the image being uploaded to a particular user.

imageFileName - varchar(45)

imageDescripton - varchar(45)

you may also want to an imageThumb column, you could use Digital File pro to automatically generate a thumbnail image.

When running the DataAssist wizard to create the management piece for the images table, set the imageUserID column to be a menu. Tell it to use the Users table. set the value to the userID column and the lable to the user name column. This way, when you are uploading an image, you will have a list of registered users that you can chose from to assign the image.

At this point, see the "How to apply Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update pages" tutorial for adding the image upload feature to your pages.

Once you have the administrative piece done, you can move to creating the customer pages.

Use the SecurityAssist wizard to create the user registration and login pages.

When the user logs in, the userID will be stored in a session variable.

On the profile page, you can create a recordset to query the images table. Filter the imagesUserID column on the userID session variable to return only the images for the logged in user.

Add the recordset listing to the results page using a repeat region.

In the repeat region, add a form to trigger the download. For the form name, use the imagesID column form the images recordset. You need a single hidden form field and a submit button in the form. The hidden form filed value should use the image name value from the recordset.

next add the DFP File Download behavior. You need to specify folder where the images exist on the folder. For the File name, click the lightning bolt and select the hidden form element.

C Claypool

Thank-you ... I thought I should be able to get it done ... was just getting confused as to the order and all the pieces ...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You're welcome.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...