close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sample database

Thread began 12/01/2009 12:14 pm by mr hankey | Last modified 12/02/2009 12:01 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3398 views | 11 replies |

mr hankey

Sample database

Hi,

Totally new to webassist and was wondering if and where i could download a sample solution/mysql database?

Basically creating a backend system where users can log cases and assign products to them.

Would anyone reccomend the mysql database having foreign keys or can the securtiy assist and data assist php code it generates do all the linking between tables?

Many thanks for your help.

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

Have a look here:

eCommerce mySQL Database
206/

mr hankey

thanks for the help again Office Guy-172461,is this the only sample database?

I take it modifying this database it pretty much suits most situations?

Thanks again

Office Guy-172461

There are sometimes samples in the download area for your extensions.

You can modify this one anyway you want using tools like phpmyadmin to add and delete columns and/or tables. Just make sure you understand how columns with ID in the name are used to tie the tables together.

This is a good starting point for most projects. You can use the column types as an example of how to define columns you add of similar types.

mr hankey

thanks again,so there is sometimes some in the downloads area? Any other ones just now or just that one?

Many thanks again. the sql file does not create the relationships though by looks of it, ran it and think i need to add them manually.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The relationships are not really needed in the table itself.

See the following thread for further information:
showthread.php?t=2722

mr hankey

Thanks so much Jason, so reading that you basically dont need to setup the relationships in mysql database it all gets done at applicaion level using the extensions in dreamweaver.

When you say force referential integrity would for my application this be needed:

Sales person add a lead, then converts it to a sale and sells multiple products. If he deleted 1 product from the sale or deleted the sale but wanted to close the lead to a non mover just now would this need referential integrity?

Many thanks again.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

referential integrity only means that the db will not allow you to delete a parent record (sales person) if there are any children (leads)

If you force referential integrity, you need to be extra diligent in the way you craft the application.

You need to make sure that if you are going to try to delete a sales person, that you first delete any leads that have added by that sales person.

Do you _need_ to force referential integrity? No.

can you benefit from forcing referential integrity? Yes, it will help keep your database clean, and free of orphaned records.

There may be instances though where you want to keep the orphaned records.

As a developer, the choice to force referential integrity needs to be evaluated on a per application basis.

If you do choose to force referential integrity, you need to develop the application to account for it.

mr hankey

Thanks Jason for your help.

In this applications case they would need access to sales peoples cases who have been deleted so would need to keep orphaned records.
So for my app, can this be done without the relationships and done inside php using the extensions.

What I was thinking was, having it when a sales person was deleted the records defaulted to an option "re assign" is it easier to do this in the app?

I do want users having problems updating records becuase of referential integrity so is it best in my situation to have this in the app?

Sorry Jason just getting started out, done alot of reading on mysql and just trying to know work out if i need relationships for this or leave it to the extensions code.

Many thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yeah, in this case, where you want to keep orphaned records, you do not want to create the relationships in the database. instead you want to manage the relationships in the application.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...