close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Help Setting up Databases

Thread began 11/05/2009 3:17 pm by bac4571381904 | Last modified 12/02/2009 2:16 pm by bac4571381904 | 2656 views | 8 replies |

bac4571381904

Help Setting up Databases

Hi i am creating a website with php and want to sell ONLY digital goods. I signed up for authorize.net as my payment gateway. What database tables would i need in order to set up the website. I dont want user login functionality. So what are the necessary tables would I to create this website? I am using ecart and digital file pro and storing my files digital goods outside of the webroot folder.

Thank You

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

There are some sample databases for solution recipes that may help you to get started. You can use the Blue Sky Music example to begin with. You should be customizing the database or creating your own to best fulfill your needs. If you have not seen it already there is a free Database Starter Kit for php that is very helpful and can teach you the basics of creating your own database that will suite your needs.

Here is a link to the trainings page where you can download this, it includes some sample db's as well.

tutorials-and-training/

When it comes to delivering your digital goods I think it is best to have a user login so that users that make a purchase can have access to the files they bought but not others. You can do this without logging in but what if the user is unable to complete their download after the purchase?

bac4571381904

The purpose of my online store is to sell ebooks maybe 15 books at max. I just want people to come to the site read the sales letter and be able to but without registering for anything, make it simple. If there was a problem they would call or email us and we would send them an email with the ebook attachment file. I have 3 tables in my website called
product_table with fields: pro_ID pro_name pro_shortdesc pro_longdesc pro_price pro_thumb pro_download.
order details with fields: details_ID details_orderID details_productID details_productname detail_productdesc detail_quantity detail_price details_downloads timestamp.
customer info with fields of: first_name middle_Init last_name address city state zip home_number cell_number office_number email

Will all this be sufficient in creating a small online store? If it is my only last question would be creating the correct recordsets on the checkout success page and the download page to set up the right parameters for the person that bought the ebook gets the correct download link to the correct file. Also restricting access to the download page to a person that actually purchased the product

Eric Mittman

I think your db structure is fine if this is all of the information that you would like record. There is one fundamental issue that I see with your objective though, if you would like to have users be able to purchase without logging in you will have a hard time being able to associate a particular individual with an item, then if they return to the site how do you confirm who they are.

If you are selling digital goods you really should have a user registration process in place to allow users to register. This way you can force the user to login to view certain pages or download items. It is possible to deliver digital goods without forcing the user to login but it becomes a bit more complicated when you thing about the other scenarios.

bac4571381904

Im setting up my ecart and i attached it to a pamyent gateway and i submitted my order and order details info into a database and when i went to my site to test it all out this is the error message that i got on my confirm page. I did get my order receipt in my email and a receipt from my merchant gateway with the order number by my order and order details are not being submitted into the database.

Warning: Missing argument 6 for WAUE_Definition(), called in /home/goldne5/WA_Universal_Email/WAUE_confirm_1.php on line 15 and defined in /home/goldne5/WA_Universal_Email/mail_PHP.php on line 69
Unknown column '01228b71912398ff0da21c87d2163160' in 'field list'

Dani Chankhour

The error indicates that you have a column type mismatch. This usually happens because you are storing the Session ID in a column type of INT. If you are storing the Session ID as the order ID, then your Order ID column type should be set to var char and similarly in your order details table as well.

bac4571381904

I get this error message when i add a Thumbnail column to my ecart object on my checkout out page. I add the Thumbnail column and label it as text.

Warning: Missing argument 9 for eCart1_Definition::AddToCart(), called in /home/goldne5/public_html/checkout.php on line 24 and defined in /home/goldne5/WA_eCart/eCart1_PHP.php on line 28

Dani Chankhour

The error indicates that you have previously applied an add to cart or a server behavior which uses the eCart object. And since you have added a new column to the eCart object, you will need to go back to the server behavior and bind a value to that column (you don't have to enter a value, but you need to reenter the Server Behavior to update the code on the page).

bac4571381904

Thank You for your help that was it!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...