close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

UE and Parent Paths error

Thread began 11/05/2009 1:21 pm by claudia275316 | Last modified 11/06/2009 4:45 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3217 views | 10 replies |

claudia275316

UE and Parent Paths error

Hello,
I am trying to use UE for a client who has his site hosted with an agency and I have no control over it.

When I submit the form, it returns an error that the WA.filenames... cannont begin with .. or /.

I found a microsoft article that addresses the issue here: 332117

I sent this info to the agency to have them enable parent paths and they say they don't due to security reasons.

I can't believe no one has asked this question (that i could find) on the forum. Is my issue not common?

How does one work around calling the includes for the UE files?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In your Dreamweaver Site configuration, on the Local Info tab, set the "Create Links Relative To" option to "Site" this will cause universal email to write the include paths using a site relative link rather than a document relative path.

claudia275316

Jason,
thanks for the speedy reply. I really thought this was going to work. I did as you said but i'm getting the same error.

The file still shows this code:
<!--#include file="../WA_Universal_Email/CDONTS_NewMail_VB.asp" -->
<!--#include file="../WA_Universal_Email/MailFormatting_VB.asp" -->

What am i missing?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this:
<!--#include file="../WA_Universal_Email/CDONTS_NewMail_VB.asp" -->
<!--#include file="../WA_Universal_Email/MailFormatting_VB.asp" -->

needs to be changed to:
<!--#include virtual="/WA_Universal_Email/CDONTS_NewMail_VB.asp" -->
<!--#include virtual="/WA_Universal_Email/MailFormatting_VB.asp" -->

using the links relative to site should cause dreamweaver to write the include code that way automatically.

claudia275316

No, it isn't changing how it writes it. In either case, when i do it manually, the error message says i can't use /.

Let's consider also that i'm a dummy and forms (not entirely true, but feeling more and more like i am).

When i create the form, the directions (universal_email_gsg.pdf) do not say whether what to put for 'action'. I also do not see where it tells me to upload the universal email folder to the server.

I was able to move the UE folder inside the folder where my form is, and changed the call to the include (eliminating ../ or /). I was able to get the form up at that point and submit it. But then i get this error:

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/body/WA_Universal_Email/CDONTS_NewMail_VB.asp, line 92

800401f3

Finally, for the go to page it says: In the Go to page field enter the page that you wish to be used as a redirect when the page is submitted.
Redirect? Is this simply not where we want the visitor to land when the action is completed? Like another html page? Since i'm not getting much to work, i thought i better get clarity on this too.

I've been at this about 5 hours. How's that for being a dummy.

Thanks for your help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Hmmmm, I cant really say why you would still be getting that error, the host must be seriously looking down the server if you cannot start a path with a forward slash, that really makes it almost impossible to link to other page.

This are the two common ways of linking to another file:
#include file="filename.asp"

or:
#include virual="/filename.asp"

This new error:
Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/body/WA_Universal_Email/CDONTS_NewMail_VB.asp, line 92

800401f3

means that the CDONTS mail object is not installed on the server.

Most common is the CDOSYS mail object, but you will need to check with the host to see which ones they support.

Yes, in the "Go to page" filed, you specify the page that should load after the email has been sent.

claudia275316

Thanks Jason, I'll try CDOSYS. Your info was helpful. And thanks for your patience. I'll let you know.

claudia275316

what is supposed to go into <form action="" method=""> ?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Action can be left blank.

Method should be set to POST.

claudia275316

I just found out that the server has Persits AspEmail installed. Can I select AspEmail, or does this mean that i cannot use UE?

Thanks again.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...