close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Building subsites within a parent site

Thread began 11/03/2009 2:20 pm by sales320648 | Last modified 11/04/2009 11:32 am by Eric Mittman | 3479 views | 1 replies |

sales320648

Building subsites within a parent site

How did you end up doing? I am also interested in creating subsites (multiple) within the existing site structure using webassist tools. Have the subsite use the url of its parent site as the first part of its URL? for example mainsite_URL//subsite. Then specify unique permissions and navigation of the subsites before uploading to main server.

The few things I want to know is, can this be done using powerstore as well? That is creating a main site and subsites using powerstore or site assist professional. Then as the administrator, be able to create permission to enable the user of a subsite to edit and customize some features of the subsite like the header sections for site personalization.

I know these feature can applied using digital file pro and HTML editor for example. Also what extensions and solutions can I use to create a function or feature that works like a self-service URL the subsite URLS ? Assuming I was able to create the subsites within the main site structure, the user , after creating an account through the main site parent site, the scenario works something like this:

The user arrives to a new site page with a "Title and Description" section. Where they type a title for their subsite, this is a required section. The title appears at the top of the subsite's web page in a navigational element that helps the user to find and open the site.

In the "Title and Description" section" the user types a description of the purpose of their site. in a "Description" box. The description can be optional. The Description appears at the top of the web page and helps the users to understand the purpose of their subsite.

Using the webassist extensions or solutions, how can I create a "Web Site Address" section, for the subsite user to type their subsite URL while maintain the a first part mainsite URL (to avoid giving them access to the register globals). For example mainsite_URL/subsite1, an additional registered users url will become mainsite_URL//subsite2 and so forth?

Also, to avoid potential problems with updating or modifying the site, to prevent them from using special characters such as, #,||,?,\t, % (.},{,* etc) as part of a subsite web address or URL.

Creating a TEMPLATE SELECTION folder within the site collection:

Another assistance with this site collection structure is, how can I, or what dreamweaver extensions or solutions, can enable me to do the following: Create two types of Template folders. One with permission that contains templates that users can purchase, and after purchase, is applied directly to their subsite. The other folder is simply the common default folder for all subsites. The user "clicks" a tab that gives them access to use common default templates for their ecommerce sites.

with feature that will enable them to change the header to customize their stores design. Any one with ideas how this can be done with digital pro? and HTML editor or using the webassist CMS? .

Also if using ecart4, can it be set up in a way to to process individual mainsite and subsite payments? Any documents on how this can be achieved?

if anyone has build this kind of parent sites with subsites, anysuggestions ?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I have moved your post over to a new thread since it seemed to be a very different topic than the original post.

I think this is a bit too much to deal with in a single post, you may get some advice on some of these points but I think it would be best to try and break out some of the topics to make it more approachable. For example, you mention the subsite URL structure you would like to use. This may be a good topic for discussion as a thread. I have not implemented any thing quite like this myself and it is not functionality that any WebAssist tools will create for you. So I think on at least this topic you should post some more specific questions and include any examples or references for the functionality you are describing. This should allow more forum visitors a chance to see your topic and chime in if they have anything to add.

Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...