close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Currency Symbols in Results, Details and Update Pages

Thread began 4/21/2009 1:27 pm by karen.marley367377 | Last modified 4/27/2009 9:48 am by canalegrande345703 | 3427 views | 9 replies |

karen.marley367377

Currency Symbols in Results, Details and Update Pages

Hi,
When inserting currency symbols such as £ or € into a data assist insert page, the results, details and update pages display them as random characters. Is there a solution to this?

The database is built in Access, and the results when edited in the database appear fine.

Many thanks for your help!

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Do you have a sample page... could it be the chartype of the page displaying the data?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

karen.marley367377

This is the char set of the page

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

This is the sort of thing that appears on the results page
Property Reference
Property Type
Retail
Sale / Lease
Sold, Subject to Contract
Region
Yorkshire & Humberside
City
York
County
Yorkshire
Summary
This is the Summary Â45 (this should be £45, and is entered using the insert page.

Price
£45000 (this pound symbol I added before the recordset)

karen.marley367377

An online example of this can be found at
V-Properties_search.asp

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I see... And if you edit and look in the database directly it seems correct as well? What is the data type for that field?

karen.marley367377

Currency Symbols

When the database is added directly, the results page displays fine. It is when entered into the DA forms that the problem arises. Two of the fields are text, and the Price is numeric. Have tried using the currency format in Access for the Price field but the same problem arises.

Many thanks for your prompt replies

Ray BorduinWebAssist

When the database is added directly it works fine? I don't understand what would be different in that case either. Do you mean if you add a recordset to a separate page it works fine, but a recordset on this page won't display?

It must have something to do with the charset being set to utf-8. If you remove that from your header does it work?

karen.marley367377

Currency Symbols

I have tried removing the character set number with the following remaining
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=" />

this has been removed from the insert and results page but does not work.

Any ideas?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'm at a loss. Try submitting a WebAssist support incident, maybe they will be able to spot the problem or have experience with this issue. I don't recall ever having an issue like this, maybe something in your code that would need to be debugged.

canalegrande345703

UTF-8 vs. ISO-8859-x

Hi,
first, I'd like to know which servermodel you are using. Is it php/mysql?
In that case try to look at it with a tool like phpmyadmin and check how the language symbol was written.
UTF-8 is your friend, even if English text does not seem to need it. You'll never know in advance if there won't be words with some special characters outside the Western European scope. (like S&#322;ownik polsko-niemiecki dzia&#322;aj&#261;cy tak&#380;e jako s&#322;ownik niemiecko-polski)
In dreamweaver, check the connection string. In my case it ALWAYS helps if I put something like:

<?php
$connection = mysql_pconnect($hostname_connection, $username_connection, $password_connection) or die(mysql_error());
//after this put
$result0 = mysql_query('SET NAMES utf8');
if (!$result0) {
die('invalid request: ' . mysql_error());
}
?>

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...