close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Menu over Flash - HOW?

Thread began 4/21/2009 3:41 pm by jeremyandrebecca67370 | Last modified 4/21/2009 8:11 pm by jeremyandrebecca67370 | 2721 views | 9 replies |

jeremyandrebecca67370

Menu over Flash - HOW?

The following problem is occurring only in Internet Explorer (specifically version 7). It works correctly in FireFox and Safari as far as I can tell.

I have tried literally EVERYTHING I can find on the internet in order to get my CSS Menu Writer menu to appear over a Flash banner. I'm convinced the problem is with the code of the menu itself because I have other Flash content that gracefully goes under other content without any problems.

I've tried using both "transparent" and "opaque" wmode values. I place these in all three placed required with Dreamweaver's embedding process. I have set the z-index of the menu to 999, its containing div to 998, and another containing div to 997. Then, I've set the Flash banner's container div to 1.

I've also tried using other Flash embedding techniques, to no avail. PLEASE tell me how I need to alter the CSS Menu Writer code to allow for this functionality. I have lost days of work trying to do what should be so simple.

Thank you, in advance, for a quick response.

The page with the problem can be viewed here:

indextemp.php


Jeremy

Sign in to reply to this post

tomm

My experience has been that Flash puts itself on top of everything.

I have not found any workaround other than positioning the flash element beyond the farthest reach of any non-flash menu.

TM

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Using the z-index and wmode should work. You can see we do that in the powerstore on the product charts for instance:

Products_Chart.php?OrderDate1=&OrderDate2=&Search.x=55&Search.y=17&Search=Insert

It appears to use transparent instead of opaque... maybe that makes a difference. I actually don't see the problem, but it is possible.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I see your version of: Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js is 1.0

The powerstore demo uses 1.7. That may be the difference.

Sign in to reply to this post

jeremyandrebecca67370

Thanks for the reply! Boy, I really thought that was going to work. I updated to a newer version of AC_RunActiveContent.js. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do the trick.

This has completely got me baffled. Any other ideas?

Jeremy

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It still has v 1.0 when I browse: AC_RunActiveContent.js

where did you update and test it?

Sign in to reply to this post

tomm

I did some testing and as Ray noted adding wmode="transparent" to the <embed ... > tag for the Flash element allows the menu to be on top of the Flash - at least for the flash charts generated by Dynamic Web Charts.

e.g. <embed src="..." wmode="transparent" quality=... ></embed>

Sign in to reply to this post

jeremyandrebecca67370

Thanks again for your input guys!

Hmmm... that's strange. I'm showing version 1.7 of the script. But, I did have to clear my cache before it showed up though. Still no improvement.

As far as adding "transparent", I did that first. Now I've been trying to use the "opaque" option instead since I was getting nowhere with "transparent". "Transparent" has always worked for me in the past, though, so this is really odd.

I know there's got to be a solution. I've just completely run out of ideas. This is so weird.

Jeremy

Sign in to reply to this post

jeremyandrebecca67370

This is so weird! I have it working (as far as the transparency issue) in IE on a test page where these are the only two elements on the page itself.

menutest.php

But, when I try to put it back into the page it needs to work in, it freaks out again.

What could possibly be causing this difference?

Sign in to reply to this post

jeremyandrebecca67370

Aaaaahhhhh! I'm a big dork!

I got it working now. I had a "position: static;" conflicting with a "position: relative;" on the same style element.

Thanks so much for your assistance. It helped me feel like I wasn't completely alone, giving me just enough sanity to figure that one out. :-)

I've got one more issue with this menu to overcome. I'll go ahead and post it in another thread.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

Sign in to reply to this post
loading

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...