close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Not sure which is the best option for me

Thread began 11/03/2009 5:37 pm by sfurley1983390133 | Last modified 11/06/2009 10:41 am by Jason Byrnes | 1875 views | 3 replies |

sfurley1983390133

Not sure which is the best option for me

Hi I have created a website for chap who will be renting cars in Morocco, he began by asking if i could just setup an email form which was fine, but now he and his partner have had a rethink and would like to be able to rent the cars online, i.e works the same as the www.hertz.com website, someone uses the drops down menus decides when they would like the car from and to etc, then eventually prebook by paying online.

Now i was thinking of purchasing the powerstore 2 software and using that to do this but as I have never done such a site I'm not quite sure if this is the right approach? (he's happy to pay for it)

Sorry if I'm not using the forum the right way wasn't quite sure what this would come under?

Anyway could you please provide me with some advice as technically the person ordering wouldn't be receiving an item more like a confirmation email suggesting the time and place and agreement etc?...

Hope this makes sense thanks Steve

p.s. oh one last thing does taht person need a special account to set this up i have hear they will need a buisness account at their local bank is that true?

Thankyou in advance :-)

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You would have more trouble modifying PowerStore to accomplish this than using the supper suite to create this from scratch.

to be honest up front, this will be a rather large undertaking, and will require hand coding PHP and creating the MySQL database structure. as well as creating complex SQL statements. If you are comfortable creating SQL Sub queries and JOIN Queries as well as coding PHP and creating Databases it should not be terribly difficult.

You would need to create a table of the available rental cars.

and another table to hold information about the cars that have already been rented: Which car, what date date it was rented on, when it is returned etc.

When the customer selects the start and end date, you will need to check the rented table to eliminate cars that are not available.

The results page will show only the cars that have not been rented for the date range selected and the customer can place that car in the basket, then checkout.

on checkout, the information of that rental will be stored in the rental table.

sfurley1983390133

Hi again

Thank you for your reply

index2.html

Here's a link to the website just a mock up at first they just wanted emails sent now they would like this money bit added...

They only other bit would be where they would like to pick the car up from, which is just 2 places & only have 5 of each car.

So let me try and get this straight is it possible for someone to buy using the ecart software and a debit/credit card because i thought that was only possible using the powerstore 2 software.

Also out of the super suite which bits would i actually use?
Is it just the database and the ecart bit?

I might know someone who can do the difficult hand coding bit, i mean would their be a lot of it?

I generally pick things up quick, is this REALLY COMPLICATED? I can hand code html, and i just setup a power cms website, is that a walk in the park compared to this? and should i just hand this over to someone who's done it before.

Honestly no offense taken if you think that's a better idea?

Sorry to be a pain just not sure which way to go, i feel it would be a great thing to learn to do but if its extreme hand coding mmm?... not sure

Whereas if it's a case of using wizards etc setting up an sql database with dreamweaverI can do it,

Thanks in advance

Steve:-)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, eCart can be used to create an online store that the user can purchase using a credit card.

That functionality of power store was created using eCart.

Where you say you pick things up quickly, you *may* or may not be able to pick how to create this. Keep in mind that are a number of things you are going to have to pick up quickly though. There will be a fair bit of PHP coding involved in this, you will have to get familiar with creating a MySQL Database, and relational datbase design. You will also need to get familiar with creating complex MySQL Queries using SubQueries and Joins.

Yes, setting up PoweerCMS is a walk in the park compared to what you are trying to accomplish. With PowerCMS all the logic has been created for you, for what you are trying to do, you will need to figure out the logic and how to implement it.

If you decide to do this yourself, the best advice I can give is:
1) Don't impose a dead line. or if you do, be very realistic, you will probably need to double whatever you *think* you can accomplish it in.

2) Draw a flow chart of how you think the site should work. Then work on each piece one at a time. if you think in terms of "a leads to b" then figure out how to make "a lead to b" before moving on to the next step, it will become a lot easier.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...