close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Some links work, others don't!

Thread began 11/03/2009 6:54 am by jth370895 | Last modified 11/12/2009 12:04 pm by Eric Mittman | 3395 views | 10 replies |

jth370895

Some links work, others don't!

Good day,
I hope you can help me. I am an HTML newbie, excuse me.
I made an HTML side based on the menustructure from MW, all from templates. Some links work correct, others don't. From the index page I can reach all, from some pages I can link further ( like "varkens" and "schapen en geiten"), but from most of the links navigating ends. I think I have a small code problem, but I can't find it. I am working on this problem for several days, so I hope you can tell me how to solve this issue.

The site is located:
Index.html

I hope you can help me. Thanks anyway. Greetings Jan-Theo

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

The # needs to be removed from the end of the links:

Index.html#

jth370895

Thanks for your quick reaction. Where can I find that "#" ? It is not in the MW edit menu and not in the files. So maybe you can give me an example how and where to find it in the code?

jth370895

Hello Mr. Office-guy 172461
Will you please help me? I am starting to become a little desperate. So another time:
- How can I remove that "#" ?
- Where to find? I can not find it in the MW edit menu or in the file menu.

I am using DW CS4: There are no broken links, but whith the validation I get several errors in CSSMenuWriter\cssmw(0)\treexml.xml with te description: " The prefix 'mm' has not been mapped to any URI[xml] ".
Has this something to do with my linking problem?
I would be very pleased if you find some time for helping me.
Kind regards from a bit desperate Jan-Theo.

Eric Mittman

When I view some of the links in your site it seems that they are not actually going to any pages and instead have just a # present for them.

To change this you would need to edit the contents of the menu on the page and specify pages for each of these links that are not going anywhere. You edit the contents in the property inspector by selecting the menu on the page first.

jth370895

Thanks Eric
Your advice helped me a lot, as you can see on the website. But I have still some questions:
- How can I link the content of the first or second level menu? I can not make these visible
in DW pageproperties, so linking seemed impossible!
- Why can I reach "\Bereikbaarheid\Vestiging Leende" when I come from "\Welkom" and not
when I come from another menu item?
- Suppose that my website would contain 100 or more pages and I want to create another
menu item. Should I link and edit in that case all 100 pages? This was for me the most important
reason to buy Webassist MW, because I thought that in that case MW did the job for me.

I will be very pleased to hear your reaction. Greetings from Jan-Theo.

Eric Mittman

I think that you might benefit from using a template file. If you have a template file you can keep all of the common elements here on the template then just update the pages for the unique content that they will have.

If you apply the menu to a template page it will automatically propagate to the derived pages and adjust the links for your on these pages. This way you do not have to account for the different page locations.

To create a template in DW you can just template on the new page dialog that appears. If you want to update a page to use this new template you will need to open that page and under Modify > Templates you can attach the template to the page.

If you do not do it this way then you will need to have an instance of the menu on each page, if the pages are linked to differently then this can cause problems for you.

jth370895

Updating?

Thanks Eric for your helpfull comment.
I made a new site, consequently from a template. This site works fine as you can see below. I still have questions:
- When I made a change in the template lay-out: when saving and updating DW tells me 15 pages have been examined and 15 pages are updated!
- When I made a change in the WA menu structure from the template: DW tells me 15 pages have been examined and 0 have been updated!!
Then in all the pages I edited the WA menu, horizontal and vertical. The only thing what I had to do was applying and finishing. Then in liveview it looks good! But 15 and more pages in this way updating is not what I expect from WA MW!! When I finished the job there were about 50 broken links. After correcting these links, everything looks and works perfect, as you can see below.
But I think, and hope, there should be an easier way to update the CSS MW layout? What did I do wrong?
With greetings from the Netherlands, Jan-Theo.

index.html

Eric Mittman

If you have the menu properly applied to a template page then there should be no need to update any of the individual instances on any other page, in fact you should not be able to make edits to these other menus if it was applied in the template properly. In the template you must have the menu in a common area, not an editable region. If it is inside of an editable region the code will not properly propagate to the other pages that are derived from this template. If done correctly you should not need to adjust the links to any of the other pages. Please let me know if you continue to have any problems with this so we can look into this further.

jth370895

Problem defined and solved!

Thanks Eric, this was the support I hoped for. I had indeed put the menu's in an editable region. Now I think everything works fine, no problems.
Maybe I am wrong, but I have looked for this information in the PDF explaning files, but I could not find it! Perhaps a good reason for updating?
Thanks anyway.
Greetings from Jan-Theo

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...