close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DataAssist Root Directory

Thread began 11/02/2009 3:46 am by rob108609 | Last modified 11/03/2009 12:53 am by rob108609 | 1960 views | 6 replies |

rob108609

DataAssist Root Directory

I am currently using DataAssist 2 to create administration areas for ASP websites using an Access database.

My Windows hosting is setup with the following folders in the root directory:

Connections (Database connections)
db (Database folder)
wwwroot (all public files)

DataAssist always puts the WA_DataAssist file folder in the root of the Dreamweaver site, which doesn't have public access. After creating pages I then have to move this folder and update all pages manually to make sure changes have taken affect.

Is there anyway to specify where DataAssist places this folder?

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

The root folder is the default location for the WA_DataAssist folder, and it is probably best to leave it there, those are just the files that your created pages (results, update, detail etc.) refer to. You can specify where the created DataAssist pages go - i.e. a secured folder in an admin area - when you run the DataAssist Wizard.

rob108609

Thank you

Yes, I've been putting the created pages into other folders during the wizard stage.

But I didn't know if I could change the default location for the 'include files' folder. At the moment, if I wanted to leave the DataAssist folder outside the wwwroot folder, I have to contact the host and get them to change the permissions on the folder. Which is a bit of a pain when you are administering a lot of sites.

I can move the folder into the wwwroot folder and update the files, but everytime I go back into the wizard, it overwrites the changes and recreates the original folder.

Some extensions also show an error in the bindings panel if the folder isn't in the default location.

But thanks for your reply...

neilo

Ah - sorry, I didn't read your first post properly. I think I now see what you mean.

When you go to:

Site > manage sites > (select your site) > Edit > Remote info:

Have you set the 'Host directory' to the proper setting? The Host directory setting should have been provided by your hosting provider with your login and FTP details, see attached pic for example of mine.

What have you got for yours? I suspect it should be something like 'wwwroot/' or /wwwroot/yoursite.com/ or somesuch.

I think the correct setting here would solve your problem.

rob108609

Thank you again

Yes, that's all sorted correctly. It's the actual extension default that I want to change. I need to have both the FTP and Dreamweaver site folders set up so I can access the db and Connections folders which are outside the wwwroot folder.

The DataAssist extension, by default, chooses the root of the Dreamweaver site, rather than asking where you want to place the folder. In Dreamweaver when you set up a site, you can tell it where to put the Spry Assets folder, it's that functionality I require for the DataAssist Extension. If I was to select the wwwroot folder as the root in dreamweaver, it would work, but then I would have to change the root everytime I wanted to upload any database tweaks I have made.

It's not anything that's broken, it all works fine, it's just this minor tweak that I need to help save some time. I didn't know if there were any more options hidden away that I may have missed.

Thank's again

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It is not possible to set where the include files are created. They will always be created at the root of your Dreamweaver site, there is no option to have them created elsewhere.

rob108609

Thank you

ok, Cheers Jason, I will continue with my work-arounds. If you could add that to the wish-list it would be great.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...