close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Super Suite can't modify custom layout

Thread began 10/31/2009 3:13 pm by kingdomspringsfarm391791 | Last modified 11/18/2009 5:13 pm by Eric Mittman | 2175 views | 5 replies |

kingdomspringsfarm391791

Super Suite can't modify custom layout

New user of WebAssist extensions. I printed all the PDFs and followed (or so I thought) the sequence for creating a custom layout. Used CSS sculptor to create custom home page and content. But, cant seem to get any further than creating the home and content page in Sculptor. I must be doing something in the wrong order or maybe I am not saving presets correctly.
problem 1: pg. 3 of SS, Designing your site w. CSS Sculptor, last bullet on page says: on the output tab select Dont generate page or styles but save preset. This option did not exist.
pg 4 of SS, bullet #1: "in the first tab be sure to choose Create new preset. This tab did not give me that choice. Bullet#3: Select Dont generate menu, but save preset. This was also not a choice.
Problem 2: In Site Assist I select the CSS Scuptor home page and the CSS menu writer I made. I follow page 5 of the SS guide. It says: Next time you run the SA Wizard you will be able to choose this layout...
But when I click the Modify menu, only "new Site Assist Prof site shows up.
Problem 3: When I reenter the SA Wizard and choose my saved layout the page types offered are not my custom home page and content page layout.
I am going round in circles with these three programs.
Please point me to the right sequence and the correct choices, BEYOND the PDF guides. I have spent many hours and practice pages with no progress. I'm sure these are great programs, just need to get past this initial roadblock. Thank you.

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hiya

That guide (the SuperSuite guide) is slightly out of date and I think was written for older versions of the extensions- you should use the CSS Sculptor Getting Started Guide (available through the Downloads page for that product) for the most up-to-date instructions, and the Getting Started Guides for the individual programmes via their download areas.

In the later versions of CSS Sculptor, rather than there being the option to save presets on the output tab, whenever you make changes either through the 'Customise CSS' or 'Manage Colours' options and then click 'Finish', you will be asked if you want to save the amended design as a preset; you need to click 'OK' (and give it a name) or 'Cancel' to proceed. It is better this way, as it was easy to forget to save the preset when you had to remember to go to the output tab to tick the right boxes. Presets are now managed from the Insert > Webassist > Preset Manager Panel (Choose the Extension from the Dropdown List at the top). If you have saved a preset. it should appear there.

You should refer to the individual Getting Started Guides for each of your programmes for up-to-date instructions for each extension.

Hopefully WebAssist will get round to checking and updating all of the support files in the near future.

Hope this helps

kingdomspringsfarm391791

no home tab on homepage menu in site assist site

Thank you for your quick response. I trashed the Supersuite guide as suggested. Still going in circles though. Interactive tutorials have helped some, but there are none for MenuWriter or Sculptor. It would be much more helpful to have a "step 1, step 2 etc. for all three programs: "configure site, choose menu bar, customize", etc. I'm still trying to piece all the guides together. Now I have a site, sort of, but I'm still trying to figure out the "preset" thing, why I'm able to save some changes but not others. More questions:
1. Why does my home page not have a "home" tab in the nav bar?
2. Is there any way to use the design for the home page duplicate the header, nav bar, box and type styles for the content page without having to redo the whole thing? I would like the header region the same for all pages, but the layout for the content to be different.
3. Is there a way to left and right justify content in the columns? All other text styling options seem to be set in the Type category. Maybe this is done in Dreamweaver properties once content is inserted -- haven't got that far yet.
Thanks again for your patience with this novice.

Eric Mittman

The home page is a one off page that is not derived from the template like the other pages in the site. The navigation that leads to the home page is not present on the home page since it would be redundant.

In order to create a new content page that uses parts of the home page you would need to modify a copy of your content page template to include the other parts from the home page. Once you have got it in a new template you can create a new SiteAssist layout based on this. When you create a new SiteAssist layout you will be able to choose the template or CSS Sculptor preset that you would like to use for the home page and the content page, you can use the same page for both if you would like. The other way to do this would be to craft a new CSS Sculptor page to have qualities from both of these layouts. Either way will give you a preset or template that you can use to create a new SiteAssist Pro layout with.

When it comes to the left and right justify and of the text settings that are not supported within the interface would need to be adjusted after the fact in Dreamweaver using the css panel.

danielsebas

same issues

Hi, well I also followed the tutorial from supersuite that I just bought and noticed it's not up to date, but I managed to follow it. The issues started when I tried to use a layout from css sculpture in siteassist or a layout from css menus; it doesn't matter if I make a new template in css sculpture or try to use one of the original ones it just doesn't work.

I open my siteassist extension and in the step 2 there's an option where you select the layout and a button that says Define, well I pressed Define and the preset manager opens, I tried to pick one of the default presets of css sculpture or one of the ones I've made and when I press the Done button everything stays the same no css sculpture template is selected.

Is there a way to customize siteassist to make a dynamic website with server side includes behavior? because the wizard makes a page for every link I want to implement in my website.

I am using the extension with dreamweaver cs4 in a Mac OSX 10.5.8

Thank you for your help
Cheers

Daniel

Eric Mittman

You should be creating your new SiteAssist Pro layout first before trying to use the SiteAssist Pro wizard. When you create a new layout you should be able to choose your template or css sculptor preset and the menu you would like to have in the site. Once you have completed the process you can then go into the SiteAssist Pro wizard and generate a site with the new layout.

SiteAssist is designed to generate a static site, it does not create a dynamic site that utilizes includes for the content.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...