close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

is css sculptor capable of creating tables?

Thread began 10/31/2009 11:08 am by mikeybabe | Last modified 11/02/2009 2:55 am by mrs | 1911 views | 4 replies |

mikeybabe

is css sculptor capable of creating tables?

I want to create a particular layout and it has to accommodate tables. Is css sculptor capable of doing that?

If so how do I do this?

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

You could always add a table into your design later... I don't know that I understand what you're asking. If you are trying to create your layout in tables, that would not be a good idea for a number of reasons... tables should be used only for tabular data. Tables within layouts are ok... layouts within tables are bad.

Best regards,

Brian

mikeybabe

Yes tables within the layout

I find css does not give great control over text placement. I find myself still using tables with in the design to get the results that I want but thought that maybe there was a facility to do this and add it within sculptor ?

Obviously not ?

so I add it after the event which probably messes with validation?

anonymous

Mikey,

That was the point of CSS - to give greater control over placement with a much cleaner structure and less weight than tables - not to mention with css, it separates the presentation layer from the content layer (allowing you to add a new stylesheet and replace the entire design around your content). I can promise you that CSS can do far more with text positioning than tables - unless it is truly tabular data that your displaying.

Do you have an example of what you're trying to accomplish. My guess is that you just need to get up to speed with a few more attributes in CSS. I, as well as others, can help with that.

Cheers,

Brian

mrs

I have to say that I wasn't too comfortable with CSS before I bought this extension, so I kept designing sites with tables for structure for quite a while. You really need to sit and play with CSS sculptor for a good few hours to figure out what it is capable of.

Start with a preset; I often use a fixed width 2 or 3 column with a header and footer and often include navigation. From there I play with the settings, click apply and then click the preview to see how it sits in a browser. This tool has been invaluable for my education in CSS and I am now far more comfortable than I ever thought I would be. The big benefit of CSS is that if you make a design change, you just upload the CSS file... if you make a change to a table, it will more than likely be within a template, and then you have to upload every page that is based on that template.

There was one occasion where CSS proved to be more effort and way more time than using a table, so, I used a table, but it was a simple 4 cell table. A header, 2 columns, and a footer. Each cell was separated by 20 pixels so I could display the background between each cell, but I wanted the two columns to be the same height... it turned out to be far easier and more stable across all browsers to use a table. However, if I need to make a change to the design as a whole, I have to change the template and upload every page on my site.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...