close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Filters for multple display regions-2 tables

Thread began 10/27/2009 6:27 am by roger391472 | Last modified 10/29/2009 10:41 am by roger391472 | 2709 views | 9 replies |

roger391472

Filters for multple display regions-2 tables

Hello,

I just wanted to run this by everyone to get your thoughts before I spend a lot time only to find I've done it wrong.

Here's what I want to do: I've got a results page that will display data in several different repeat regions, one is for new products, another for articles, one for videos and one where I would like to pull related threads from my forum. Since I want to pull data from the forum threads that also means I'll have to use 2 tables.

I would like to have it set up to filter the information in all regions so that when a search was done it would update all display regions to that search term. I would like to have two search options, one search option would be a drop down list and the other method would be a search text box to do a fulltext search.

Can I accomplish all of this with DataAssist Search?

Please remember that this is my first bout with PHP so unfortunately I need the answers to be explained rather well. I'm learning as fast as I can but I've also got to get this site up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Roger

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, you can accomplish this using DataAssist search.

For each Recordset / repeat region combination you have on the page, add a DataAssist Search server behavior to filter that recordset.

Where you are beginning with PHP, the first two bits of advice I can give is:
1) Take baby steps. Create the first recordset / repeat regioncombination and test it to make sure it is working correctly, the add database search for it. test again to make sure it is working. it is easier to troubleshoot why one thing on the page is not working correctly than to create the whole lot and trouble shoot why the whole thing is not working.

2) make a backup of the page before taking the next step. if the next step breaks something,try troubleshooting, if you cant figure it out, revert to the backup and try it again.

roger391472

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. Yep, step one is how I've been doing it, I've got the first repeat region working and I've got another page that I try it on first. When you say make a backup, it made me wonder about something. In the past I have saved the entire old code with html and everything and if something went wrong I just pasted the old code over the new code. Is there any problem with doing it that way?

Thanks,

Roger

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, I just find it easier to save the page with a new name, then rename it if I need to revert back, your way works too.

roger391472

Thanks Jason,

I'm starting on it now and I've got it working so far.

Roger

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

OK, glad to hear it.

roger391472

Hi Jason,

Well, I thought I had it. I can get the first variable that I add to work fine but I just can't figure out how to get the variables from more than one field to work.

I really hate to post this code in public yet, can I e-mail it to you? If not I'll go ahead and post it but please let me know if there's another option to get it to you.

Thanks,

Roger

roger391472

Heeyyyy Jason, It's your worst nightmare again.

You out there?

Thanks,

Roger

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, I'm here, sometimes you just need to be a little patient.

I have created a support ticket for you, please send your page along with a backup of your database so I can look at whats going wrong.

roger391472

Hi Jason,

Yep, i just wasn't sure if you had seen the last post.

I'll send it now.

Thanks,

Roger

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...