close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Variable product price - Options problem

Thread began 10/23/2009 10:51 am by jstoler155201 | Last modified 10/29/2009 1:45 pm by Eric Mittman | 2702 views | 7 replies |

jstoler155201

Variable product price - Options problem

My magazine client needs to sell one, two and three year subscriptions as well as fixed price products like books and t-shirts.

The question is do I use eCart4 Rules or PS Options to create a subscription setup? I think it is Rules because it appears that PowerStore will only allow an Integer on the Price line on the Insert and Update pages in the Admin and I need three prices.

Soooo, I think that means I have to have a price as a base and then create Rules that will change the total based on a dropdown selector of subscription length coupled with a Session variable? Or, can it be done with the PS Options?

Also, when I do create an option, like Gift?, with a No default, a Yes value and unlimited product, and make sure it is all Online, the Details page price box displays "checking availability" and a little rotating progress indicator and then freezes on the live site and does not check at all on the testing server. Sometimes it shows in the Cart, sometimes not! What to do?

Thanks,
Jay

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I think the subscriptions should all be options of a single product. The options will be the subscription length, you can adjust the price for these options for the longer subscription times.

So the product is the subscription, and the options the duration that control the price for the subscription.

As for the other problem you are having please describe exactly how you have created the item in your admin area and the options for it. What you are describing sounds like there may be some sort of server time out occurring when you are testing this.

jstoler155201

How to control Cart Price with options?

I got everything working with the options, it was a server issue.

Now, I need to know how the options control the price. Does that have to be done with the eCart Rules, or is there a way to do it directly in the PS options section?

Thanks,
Jay

Eric Mittman

You control the price of the options directly in PowerStore after adding in your options. On the top of your product insert or update page will be the options, select the one you want to adjust the price for and just update the price of the item. Now if a user chooses this item with the option you configured the price will what you entered for that option.

You should think of it like adding a new product but only for that option. This is way it is organized in the db. You can also update all options for a product at once by checking this checkbox on the update page.

jstoler155201

Still freezing when any option dropdown selected

I got all the price stuff figured out with the options, thanks for the explanation.

Now the only problem remaining is that when any option dropdown is selected it shows a "checking availability" message and stops. The status bar reads "Done". Oddly enough, it does this even though most of these products are unlimited and we don't need to track the stock. This is not a time out, but an incomplete update of the javascript, I think. I tried disabling the update js, the page did not "freeze" but the options did not update into the cart.

How can I get this working or just disable it.

Thanks,
Jay

Eric Mittman

I'm not sure why you would be experiencing an error when it was loading the options. Do you have a link where this can be seen on the site? If it is not something you can post please let me know and I will open a ticket so we can exchange some more details.

jstoler155201

Here a link to my update problem

Here is the link. Try and give the item as a gift by changing the option dropdown.
Products_Detail.php?ProductID=42

Should I be looking for something in the DB?
Thanks for your help.

Eric Mittman

I have opened a ticket for you on this so we can exchange some files. Please update your ticket by logging into the site and visiting your support history.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...