close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

adding up data and numbering table rows?

Thread began 10/21/2009 7:28 pm by dean248377 | Last modified 4/04/2014 10:13 pm by Makubex | 5782 views | 12 replies |

dean248377

adding up data and numbering table rows?

question 1. I have a repeating table. One column should show what number row it is. AllI have now is each row has a 1 as its number. I would like each row to be numbered individually.

Question 2. in my database table each record has a column for month day and year as well as a column that holds a number (0, 1, 0r 2). Then I have table that I would like to add up all of the numbers for a particular date. If the recordset returns info for 10/12/09 then i would like for it to add all the numbers in that column. Lets say there are 3 entries for 10/12/09, each entry has a 2 in its number column. the table cell should display a 6.

Thanks dean

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Dean,

For question 1, you could do one of two things... One way would be to use PHP's/MySQL's Row Count features.

But probably easier is this: before the loop of the table establish a variable like this <?php $rowcount = 0; ?>.

Then inside the looped table, create your first column where you will want to denote the row number and in the cell, call this command <?php echo ++$rowcount; ?>.

You will then have your rows numbered on up! I look at question 2 in a bit... I gotta get some sleep.

Cheers,

Brian

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

SOJO Web has question 1 covered.

For question 2, use the SUM() function for the number column and GROUP BY the date column:

SELECT SUM(numberColumn) AS numCount FROM tblName GROUP BY dateColumn

dean248377

Thanks guys,

Took care of the first on pretty easily. However the 2nd question has got me. Jason my date column is actually4 columns month, day, year and ampm. So I'm not sure how to fit this into your answer.

This is what I have so far (stop laughing), it obviously does nothing.

SELECT SUM ( tripmanifest.Air) AS numCount
FROM tripmanifest GROUP BY tripmanifest.`Month`

Dean

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Well, that's a horse of a different color then, isn't it? ;)

No worries, just need to add the CONCAT() function to the GROUP BY:

SELECT SUM(numColumn) as numCount FROM tbleName GROUP BY CONCAT(monthColumn, dayColumn, yearColumn, ampmColumn)

dean248377

Jason,

This is working sort of. This is what I have:

SELECT SUM(Air) AS numCount
FROM tripmanifest
GROUP BY CONCAT (Month,Day,Year,ampm)

and it doesn't work. If I change it to:

FROM tripmanifest
GROUP BY 'Month', 'Day', 'Year', 'ampm'

It totals ALL the numbers but not sorted by date. If I put the CONCAT() in ( like below)then it is deleted when I save the recordset.

FROM tripmanifest
GROUP BY CONCAT('Month', 'Day', 'Year', 'ampm' )

...Something just hit me, How does the recordset know which Month, Day, Year, ampm to sort by? In the url to this page I am passing that info. Does that need to be included in the recordset?

Dean

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Month, Year, Day and ampm are not MySQL reserved words, so there is no need to enclose them in single quotes.

writing the query without the quotes:
FROM tripmanifest
GROUP BY CONCAT(Month, Day, Year, ampm)

should work just fine.
MySQL does not like the use of the standard single quote character " ' ", instead, you should use the backtick "`"

if you are going to use quotes in the SQL, you need to use the backtick instead of the single quote:
FROM tripmanifest
GROUP BY CONCAT(`Month`, `Day`, `Year`, `ampm`)

dean248377

I put ecaxtly what you said but as soon as I save the recordset it removes the CONCAT(). like this:

FROM tripmanifest
GROUP BY Month, Day, Year, ampm

And its not totaling the numbers. heres the file.

inthe code you'll see I added the CONCAT() but still nothing and it still does not show up in the recordset.

Dean

Attached Files
manifest_details.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I am not able to recreate this behavior in Dreamweaver.

When I save a recordset that uses the concat function in the group by clause, the concat function is not removed.

Try editing the code directly.

change line 83:

php:
$query_RsAM = "SELECT SUM(Air) AS numCount FROM tripmanifest GROUP BY Month, Day, Year, ampm";

to:

php:
$query_RsAM = "SELECT SUM(Air) AS numCount FROM tripmanifest GROUP BY CONCAT(Month, Day, Year, ampm)";

dean248377

Jason thanks for the quick reply,

Still no go it shows 0 as the total.

How does the recordset know which date to look at?

heres the up dated file.

Dean

ps.

Ok I tried something that may or may not tellyou something. I put 1 in each row under the Air column. There are about 65 or so rows only 5 of which have the same date(month,day,year.ampm columns). the numCount binding is displaying 40 as the total. My inferior brain is still saying how does it know which date?

Dean

Attached Files
manifest_details.zip

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...