close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Force Password Change on Initial Login and/or Forgot Password Re-login

Thread began 10/20/2009 6:51 am by coco332878 | Last modified 10/20/2009 9:55 am by coco332878 | 3265 views | 2 replies |

coco332878

Force Password Change on Initial Login and/or Forgot Password Re-login

Hello!

I've built a site where parents can login and view their children(s)' information. I built the pages using DataAssist, Security Assist & Validation Toolkit. The problem is that I built the pages with a simple "straight-through" login procedure (username/password match db records = successful login) before I knew that I was going to have to provide a "Forgot Password" feature and a "Force Password Change" on initial login.

I've followed the solution recipes for "forgot password" & "change password" & "email password" so those pages are built and connected together but i don't know how to control logging in / forcing password change within and around these pages.

Additionally, we've added a column to the user table that is "requirePW" that has an initial value of "Y" for all users.

This is what I have to accomplish and I'm at a total loss as to how to do it or whether or not Security Assist/Data Assist have these capabilities built into their features:

On initial login:
authenticate username/password and check requirePW value
if requirePW=Y then redirect to "force_chg_pwd.php"
here the user enters new password (2x), the password record gets updated, the requirePW value gets changed to N and the user is redirected to a "chg_pwd_success.php" page with a link that takes them to userProfile.php.

if requirePW= N then skip "force_chg_pwd.php" and go directly to "userProfile.php"

I'm not a PHP developer so I'm completely at a loss as to how to do this, even within the WA software. Any clues would be deeply appreciated!

I've toyed with header(Location...) and an if else statement written independently of WA extensions but i've hit deadends at every turn.

Client has suddenly asked for all of this to be working tomorrow so what I thought was going to be a "learning" project over a bit of time has turned into "must know now".

Help?
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

btw...i'm using DWCS4 on Windows XP and testing on my localhost with a copy of the real mysql database

coco

Sign in to reply to this post

tom92909Beta Tester

You have the right idea there.
You could create a Recordset1 on your userProfile.php that checks for logins that have the requirePW=Y. If it finds that to be true redirect to change the PW. Below is a quick solution to assist in accomplishing this.

php:
<?php

if ($row_Recordset1['requirePW'] == 'Y') {
?>
<form>
 <INPUT TYPE="BUTTON" VALUE="Please Change Your Password" ONCLICK="window.location.href='force_chg_pwd.php'">
</form>
<?php

} else {
 }
?>

coco332878

trying this now........

although i'm having to do some workarounds with existing dynamic data on userProfile.php, i think i'm slowly making headway with your suggestions and support.

THANK YOU!
once i know whether or not it's going to work, i'll post reply with the "how" and "why".....

once again. thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction and lend moral support along the way.

i have HOPE!
coco

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...