close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Shipping cost based on product category

Thread began 10/18/2009 2:52 pm by tolushayoo193471 | Last modified 10/23/2009 1:17 pm by Eric Mittman | 2929 views | 9 replies |

tolushayoo193471

Hi
Please how can I generate shipping through database lookup , I want the shipping cost to be based on product category, am not sure if it's possible, or how i can use ecart to implement these but i prefar non stress mathod. how can these be implement in powerstore thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The first step in getting something like this implemented is to clearly define exactly what you would like to have occur for the charges. Please explain as best as you can the specific circumstances of the shipping charges and how you would like it to work from the perspective of the user on the site. With a little more description we will be able to better assist and advise you on how to implement this.

tolushayoo193471

Thank you, I dont have UPs account, I intend to have my ow shipping charge base on product category. eg. if some order baby cot bed which product id is = 1, then the shipping cost will be £16.00 but if some order a spoon whcih product id = 2, the shipping cost will be £1.50.

I hope you understand. thanks

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the info on the items, this is very helpful. This seems like it would be a good fit for some basic flat rate shipping costs. However since the shipping is something that is applied to the total cart and not just an item in the cart I'm wondering how you would like to charge the shipping if the user has two different items in the cart? Would you have a special shipping charge depending on the combination of items? With this last part cleared up I can give you some specific pointers on getting this rule in place.

tolushayoo193471

Thank you, the postage is just a flat rate, no matter how many products in the cart of it it's just one is going to be the same cost. £9.00 for all item in the cart

Eric Mittman

In your example you mentioned

if some order baby cot bed which product id is = 1, then the shipping cost will be £16.00 but if some order a spoon which product id = 2, the shipping cost will be £1.50.

I'm curious how you would like to hand the situation where both items 1 and 2 are in the cart together. Would you combine these shipping charges as a single charge or would you have a special rate based on multiple products? If you just had flat rate shipping rules in the cart you could have the rules setup like this:

if item [1] is in the cart, apply a flat rate of 16

You would configure this on the shipping tab of the cart object. The problem is that if you do this for each item you have available and add more than one type of item to the cart you will only be charged the shipping from the last rule that is triggered because it is just a flat rate and not an accumulated value.

I think it would be best to have a column in the cart to hold the shipping value, then for the shipping charge you would base it off of the subtotal of the shipping value column. This way you would have a single flat rate for a particular item regardless of how many the user purchases, then if they had another different item in the cart the shipping charge would be added to the one for the first item. Please let me know how you would like to handle it and any questions you have about any part of the process.

tolushayoo193471

ok thank you i will go for your opinion, the one you mentioned, i will do it that way but I dont know how

Eric Mittman

This approach is not very straight forward and would require you to make some edits to your db and a few pages in the PowerStore. In order to make the edits in the PowerStore Admin you will need to have DataAssist. To make the changes on the other pages of the site you will need to use eCart.

The first step in getting the shipping charge setup like this is to ensure that you have a shipping column in your products table. You will need to add this in the db.

Next you will need to update both the product insert and product update pages in the admin area. The first page you should update is the insert page. On this page you will need to add a new form element to the form on the page, this will be where you enter the shipping amount. Next on this page you will need to update the DataAssist insert server behavior, on the list of columns that are being inserted into the db select your new shipping column and for the value use the lightning bolt icon to select the new form element you just added on this insert page.

The process is the same for the update page, you will also need to set the initial value of this new text field to come from the product recordset.

That is all for the admin pages, on the front end of the site you will need to update the cart object to have the new column and the products detail page. On this page you will update the add to cart server behavior, in the bindings set the ship column to the value from the recordset, this should be the same value you used on the update page in the admin area.

This will get you all setup for the shipping charge rule. For the rule you will choose total number of items > 1. Then for the calculation choose based on column subtotal and choose your ship column.

There are a few steps to this and it is kinda custom so I will not be able to guide you through the whole process but if you have any questions please let me know and I will be glad to help with whatever I can.

tolushayoo193471

Whao it's really long process, but with my previous idea i've used before, I went to the ecart object to divine these rule, I will just have flat rate.

RULE 1: PER ITEM ORDER CONDITION

"Total Number of Unique Items in Cart"
If the Total Number Of Unique Items in the Cart is [>] a value of [0]

CALCULATION:
Flat Rate {4.95]

AND (ANOTHER TRRIGER)

if Session variable Exists:
eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_country

AND (ANOTHER TRRIGER)

Based On Session Variable Value:
If the session variable [eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_country] is [=] a value of [GB]

thanks for your help, if i dont want to ship to non uk address how can i trigger these

Eric Mittman

I think that I'm just not understanding the question, sorry. Would you like to alter your rules so that shipping to non UK addresses in not allowed? If so this is not something you would do on with your shipping rules but instead with your shipping locaiton select list on the checkout page. If I have got it wrong please correct me and let me know what you are trying to accomplish.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...