close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

relational databse with web assist

Thread began 10/18/2009 4:31 am by p_vouers282571 | Last modified 10/19/2009 4:07 pm by tom92909 | 2634 views | 6 replies |

p_vouers282571

relational databse with web assist

Is there a better explaination on how to set up my first relational db??
I have 3 tables in one db setup but how do I apply the server behavior.. I keep getting the erro code that says it need to be in a repeating area???
Do I place all 3 tables as a recordset on the page first??
Totally lost.
Phil

Sign in to reply to this post

tom92909Beta Tester

hmmm, pretty wide open topic here. Let's define (clarify) some key elements first so I can try and give you a hand.

1. Please provide me with some table definitions. Table name and the fields for each.
2. What exactly are you trying to accomplish. Just an understanding so I understand what your goal is please.

That should help me get an idea of where to go with the assistance...

Tom

p_vouers282571

I'm looking for the genra info on how to get the server behavior to work.

I have 3 tables
table1

userID
name
email

table2

orderID
product
description
price

table3
relID
userID unique
orderID unique

Now what I want to do is setup the insert, delete, update and results page for like data assist does.

Hope that gives you enough info. I can set this up manually with record sets and joins but I really wanted to use the web assist server behavior or at least make it work.

Thanks
Phil

Eric Mittman

I think a little more explanation about what you are hoping to achieve as an end result will be needed to help you get it going. If you have the tables in your db then you can use DataAssist to generate the sets of pages that you will need for the insert, update, delete, search, results and details. These pages will be created for you with the DataAssist wizard. You can run the wizard from within DW by having a page saved to your site that matches the type of site you are working with, like php. You just click on the DataAssist wizard icon from the insert bar.

p_vouers282571

What I am trying to do is setup a database where table one is the customer table and that customer can have multiple orders so that say:

joe blow with orders would display his name then the 3 orders pertaining to him below him.

where suzy jane with one order would just display her name with her order below her.
Am I being clear on this yet??
Phil

Eric Mittman

DataAssist can help create the set of pages that will let you manage these tables in your db. You can even use it to create the results page that will list the orders for your user. You must have the db created first though as DataAssist does not create a db for you but just uses the one that you connect to. If you need some help determining how to get your db setup you should take a look at our Database Starter Kit for PHP, it is a free training that we offer, here is a link:

database-for-php/

We will be glad to help you get this going, please post back with any specific questions you have about any part of this that you need a better understanding of or have questions regarding.

tom92909Beta Tester

Yes I fully understand now.

I did something very similar to this in the last few weeks. I have a client that wanted to sell tickets online for performances.

I created an administrative backend to allow my client full access to all of the orders that were successfully placed online. I used eCart for the shopping cart, and I used DataAssist for the backend tool I created.

Here is an edited screenshot that will show you what can be done.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...