close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Call me Cynical but..

Thread began 10/16/2009 2:22 am by secure377208 | Last modified 10/19/2009 12:10 pm by Michael Lekse | 3170 views | 6 replies |

secure377208

Call me Cynical but..

Hi,
Having previously purchased the web development suite I have been looking through the thread relating to the new extension library subscription with interest. Until a few moments ago I was under the impression that subscription basically provided access to all web assist products and updates, however I have now realised that there are products which are not included as they seem to be classed as solutions rather than extensions.

How will webassist determine in the future which new product will be classed as an extension and which will be a solution? I personally have difficulty for example determining the difference between the Power cms facility and the site assist professional which makes one an extension and the other a solution. The access to the template packs was also an incentive for me, however there isnt as yet much of a variety to choose from and I havent found any information which promises any specific number of additions to the templates over the coming months.

With the template facility at Sucasa being removed after only a short period of existence with little or no explanation it does raise concerns over continued development of new templates and products to be included within the subscription scheme.

I was all set to make my purchase this morning but am now going to hang on as there are not any extensions which we have an immediate requirement for, we would have gone ahead if the CMS facility was included and to be honest I am now a bit concerned that any new good products could be released as a "Solution" which would require further investment and further "extension" releases are minimal applications with no great appeal or functionality.

Dont get me wrong, I like the products but having been in business for over 20 years we have a lot of experience of how some companies can be forced to work due to economic pressures even when it goes against their natural morals etc.

Therefor it would be appreciated if someone could provide an indication of what new products and development we can expect to see within the extensions catalogue over the coming twelve months in order that we who have already purchased the majority of facilities we require can make an informed decision as to whether this is the best time to buy into the scheme.

I appreciate that we have the comfort of access to bug fixes etc to apps with the subscription, but to be honest if I buy an application which doesnt work as it should then I expect that app to be supported free of charge until such time as it works properly anyway.

Sorry to be so cynical but if you dont ask the questions then you get all you deserve and cant complain afterwards. I am sure my concerns will be laid to rest upon clarification from webassist.

Thanks in advance

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

Just a few non-official answers:

1. An extension is installed into Dreamweaver and needs an activation code.

2. A solution is a collection of code that preforms a specific task. Since it is not an extension, it is not controlled by an activation code.

3. Bug fixes are always free. Upgrades that include new features are not included. (i.e. 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 is free, 2.0.1 to 3.0 is not)

4. The subscription gives you the new versions with new features and new extensions as well as the standard bug fixes.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This description is correct.

An extension is installed into Dreamweaver and a solution is a series of web pages we built usually by utilizing our extensions.

If you need more clarification, just ask.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

secure377208

Future Production

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the clarification, however no-one has mentioned the issue of whats in the pipeline for future extension releases or what the expected release rate is for templates etc, as I mentioned we already have the programs we are primarily likely to need, certainly at this time so our subscription would only be beneficial in terms of future products and templates, as such a proposed itinery of future projects, templates etc would certainly be helpful to me.

Thanks in advance

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Our twelve month plan is a moving target. We try to have a new product or solution release every month and generally have a 2 to 1 ratio... so we expect about 8 major releases for extensions and 4 major releases for solutions in any 12 month period. Of course depending on complexity that number can go up or down.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Michael Lekse

We have just published a page that lists out the extensions and solutions from 2008 and 2009. It also shows the dot releases that we put out so far in 2009. release-history.php

Michael

Michael Lekse

Regarding the release of templates, we have scheduled closed to 75 templates (combo of site, page and menus) to be released to the Extension Library over the next year or so.

Best,

Michael

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...