close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Data Assist

Thread began 10/14/2009 1:14 pm by chris373619 | Last modified 11/19/2009 5:26 pm by Eric Mittman | 8641 views | 33 replies |

chris373619

Data Assist

I have about 450 PDF files I need to make available on a website. I need to have a search field so users can search for the right PDF. The user would fill in the name of the PDF in the search field and the pdf would show up. Simple as that. I also need to make it available a admin could add more files as they need them. How do I do this. Can you point me in the right direction to start this development?

Sign in to reply to this post

tom92909Beta Tester

1. Do you own Dreamweaver CS3 or newer?
2. Do you own WA DataAssist (latest version)?
3. Do you have a web server with PHP and MySQL (phpMyAdmin would be a plus)?
4. Do you have a MySQL Database, Table, User Access, and a functional connection?
5. Assuming your MySQL Table has the necessary fields to assist you in managing USERS, and your PDF files.

*** WA Security Assist would be helpful to identify user level access ***

If the all of the above questions are answered yes then I'd start off by running the WA DataAssist wizard, be sure and add the SEARCH to your RESULTS page (that will be an option in the wizard).

Once you create the initial wizard INSERT, RESULTS, UPDATE, SEARCH, DETAIL pages (I personally wouldn't offer a DELETE page, but that's totally up to you), I would then recommend that you test your INSERT page to verify that your data input for each PDF record is working (I'm also assuming that you'll add all of these PDF files to a repository directory).

Once you get comfortable with your input, you should be able to test your search capability from the Results page.

After that meets your requirements, you then can assign security access for users so that your admin can manage the files collectively.

This was a very brief rundown for the process, but perhaps it will provide you with a workable guideline.

Tom

chris373619

Data Assist

That's a good start. The answer is yes to all except 4 and 5. I might need more direction with those questions. I have the MySQL Database but don't have the User access part running. I don't think I have the MySQL setup with the necessary fields. Can you recommend a lesson to read about this setup?

By the sound of it I would need to enter all of the PDF files manually to a record. Is that correct?

Can you go into more detail about these steps? I understand what you are saying for the most part but until I get comfortable with the software I get lost easily. This will be my first attempt at using WebAssist's software on a project. This seems easy except the 450 pdf part. Any easier way to enter them in?

Thank you for your help!

tom92909Beta Tester

Does your server use Cpanel? Do you have access to phpMyAdmin on your server? I'm just trying to get a reference point to know where to start...

MySQL setup...

phpMyAdmin Tutorial
sql_phpmyadmin.php

chris373619

Data Assist

Yes to both of those questions. The server uses Cpanel and I have access to phpMyAdmin. I also have the MySQL Tools but I'm not sure if I need that.

tom92909Beta Tester

1. Create a database from your Cpanel.

You'll want to create a database.
Create a user.
Then add the newly created user account to have access permission to the newly created database.

See attached MySQL images....

2. Using PHPMyAdmin....

You'll want to create your table(s) and add the fields that you need to hold your data.
I have created a few quick screenshots from inside PhPMyAdmin to illustrate the process...

chris373619

Triggers

In my first e-mail I said I had 450 PDF's. Once I make the database connection with a user and the right form fields I would manually enter the pdf files. Can I use a trigger and have it detect the posting of the 450 pdf's??

Eric Mittman

In order to have the page detect and post values for all of the pdfs you would need to have some custom coding in place, this is not a feature of any of our tools.

You would need some custom coding that would scan the folder for the pdfs then store those in an array, you would then loop through an insert to insert the details for all of these into individual records in your db. This is not something that our tools will do for you though. If you would like to have it done this way and are not sure what to do you may want to try posting in the jobs board to see if anyone there can help you out.

chris373619

I'm stuck at the part I create the data base with user access. I fell like I've learned so much but I can't figure out how to setup the database on the server. I have the MySQL set up and everything working, but I just can't get past this database set-up. I also can't figure out how to set up the fields to hold the date. I can't find anything helpful.

tom92909Beta Tester

Chris,

Can you please provide me with the information (your field requirements)

rec_id
filename

The above are the only two the I know you'll need.

rec_id should be an INTEGER with a size value of 10 and you should make it the primary index and also make it Auto-Increment.

filename should be a VARCHAR with a size value of 255

Maybe that will get you started...

Tom

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...