close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

No idea how to do this - help requested

Thread began 10/13/2009 8:49 am by jeffmg279672 | Last modified 10/14/2009 1:44 pm by phil | 1358 views | 2 replies |

jeffmg279672

No idea how to do this - help requested

I have a problem with a conference registration form which I'm not sure how to overcome. I've set up many of these for a client, using a form on an HTML page which then posts to an ASP page which emails the form data to the client as an email, then redirects to a thanks page. So far, so straightforward. This time round, the client has decided he wants something different - the plan is to run 3 conferences next year, and depending on whether the viewer selects more than one conference, a different level of discount applies.
So, for example, if you book one conference, this needs to trigger a message (presumably a hidden field) saying: You've selected 1 conference at a cost of £xx.
Booking two conferences (either 1+2, 1+3 or 2+3) should trigger a message saying:
You've selected 2 conferences at a cost of £yy - that's a saving of £zz (a bb% discount)
Booking all three conferences should trigger a message saying:
You've selected all 3 conferences at a cost of £zz - that's a saving of £xy (a cc% discount).

I'd thought of trying to do this with javascript but have been persuaded that it won't be much use if the viewer has his/her javascript disabled in the browser. If it was just a choice of 1, 2 or 3 checkboxes I assume it would be fairly straightforward, but as there are 3 permutations for choosing two conferences, I'm a bit flummoxed.
If anyone has any idea of a simple way of achieving this, or has done something similar, I'd really love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

This is really a custom solution and I won't be able to give very extensive advice but I think you could do this all server side by having the checkboxes on the event registration page.

This page would need to be an asp page or post to one that you have control of. On the page that the form posts to you can just do some simple checks for each of the three checkboxes. If any one of them is checked then an extra amount can be added to an amount variable.

You would then just use this variable in the email message to indicate the price.

To get it to show in the browser as the user makes the selection you would need to use some client side js for this. You can do something similar where you have an amount variable and accumulate the value based on the checkboxes. You can then write this value to a div that displays the price.

This is just a high level overview and is not something that would be supported since it is custom development. I hope this gives you a better idea of how something like this can be achieved.

phil

This solution may not be for you but I would use a flash component to do the math and show a response, then push the total sum through to the next php page invisible via flashvars.

Like javascript, flash wont be installed on EVERY users machine but the number left out is so small I deem it as insignificant.

I am a pretty experienced flash developer though so have a natural tendancy to gravitate towards it for calculations and dealing with these kind of scenarios. You could build a pretty polished component to highlight the options the user has and display their benefits etc, and do it pretty quickly.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...