close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How setup a user file upload or multiple file upload with files linked to a user prof

Thread began 10/13/2009 2:50 am by neil.batchelor254136 | Last modified 10/15/2009 5:22 pm by Jimmy Wu | 2998 views | 6 replies |

neil.batchelor254136

How setup a user file upload or multiple file upload with files linked to a user prof

Hi Webassist support,

I am building a series of pages that allow a user to register, login and see their profile page, whilst creating a session id USER_ID.

This was done using security assist.
On the profile update page I would like to add the digital file pro upload functionality.
and record the location of 1 or more files (i.e. multiple file upload) in the user table.
Thereby linking this to the user and know who upload the file and when (date).

Can you explain how I can do this with digital file pro please?
I can created a standard profile page with First Name, Last Name, Password and email/user name.

I can then use dataasssit to create a searchn and results page for admin to view the path names of the files or the files that have been uploaded and enquire as to who has uploaded files.

Some documentation on this would be great.
Thanks,
Neil

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

After the file is uploaded using Digital File Pro, you can get the file name that is uploaded. You would then insert the user ID and the file name (you can get these from the bindings panel) into your database, so you would need a table that stores user ID and file name, so you can search by user ID to get the images that the user uploaded while doing your search. Since you have the image name and the upload location, you can use these to display the images.

neil.batchelor254136

Getting the file name

Jimmy, how do I record the file name.
I am new to DFP.

Thanks,
Neil

tom92909Beta Tester

I made a quick screenshot to maybe clear it up...

Jimmy Wu

On the page you have applied the Digital File Pro Upload server behavior, go to the bindings panel. This should have a section for the WA Upload Files for the file field that you uploaded with. To get the value to display on the page, drag and drop the binding to somewhere on your page. This will add some code that looks similar to this:
<?php echo $WA_DFP_UploadStatus["WA_UploadResult1"]["WA_UploadResult1_1"]["serverFileName"]; ?>

Remove the php tags and the echo and you have the variable that you can insert into the database:
$WA_DFP_UploadStatus["WA_UploadResult1"]["WA_UploadResult1_1"]["serverFileName"];

neil.batchelor254136

Tom and Jimmy Thanks - a few more questions on DFP

I will try and put all this into practice this weekend.
Is there a way I can do the following:

1. Limit the size of the uploaded file to 1mb
2. Give the user a 'successful upload' message
3. Give the user a 'error upload' message relating to the file size or the actually upload process not functioning properly.
4. Allow multiple file uploads by one user one one submit.
5. Prefix the filename used with the first name of the user, last name of the user, user id, and company name then the original file name*

*So you end up with a file uploaded into a given destination like:

firstname_lastname_userid_compname_original file name.jpg

*Assuming I have first name of the user, last name of the user, user id, and company name columns setup.

Thanks,
Neil

Jimmy Wu

1) Using the product you will not be able to limit the size of the uploaded file to be 1mb. There are ways that you can accomplish this with certain other scripts, however, this is not supported. You may find other users on the forum that may be familiar with these who can help you out.

2) You can have the page forward to an upload successful page after the files are uploaded if you like.

3) You can get the upload status variables from the bindings panel and can check whether the file uploaded successfully or not from there.

4) You can set up multiple uploads in one form by setting up the wizard several times on different file fields in the same form.

5) You can add these values into the server file name when you are specifying the upload behavior.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...