close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Database prompted email

Thread began 10/08/2009 5:07 pm by Roxana | Last modified 10/31/2009 1:34 am by CraigR | 7970 views | 28 replies |

Roxana

Database prompted email

I set up the Universal email behavior to send me a copy of the customer order, which works fine, but I don't want to rely on the email only. One copy took over 30 minutes before it finally came in.

I set up the table orders to also hold the complete billing address and a few extra fields. Using the store order behavior worked like a charm.

My question: Is it possible to generate an email the draws its information from the database, once a new record is added?

I tried looking at a tutorial, but the file "Gather Billing Information (Interactive Tutorial)" from the archived files didn't open. Error 409.

Sign in to reply to this post

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Roxana,

generally I would generate an email receipt on the same page as I do the database insert/update and then the length of time the email takes to get to my client is down to the vagaries of the internet.

Roxana

Hi Dave,

The confirm page is already set up to send a confirmation mail to the customer.

What I would like to know, is it possible to have an email prompted when data is entered into a database table (when the customer confirms the order). In our case it would be two tables (orders and orderdetails). I would like an email that pulls the info from the database and not from the confirm page.

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

You could set this up on the checkout success page where the data is already in the database ? As a matter of course I only send emails from the checkout success page because it is at this point the sale is actually confirmed.

Roxana

I just tried using Universal Email on the success page. I entered all the neccessary info into the wizard and opended the Dreamweaver editor to create a simple email form. To get the data from the database I created a recordset and inserted a few records into the email form.

Upon saving, I had an error message: While executing timer, the following JavaScript error(s) occurred: In file file:///Macintosh HD/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS3/Configuration/Inspectors/WAUEInsp.html: The dreamweaver.createDocument() and dreamweaver.openDocument() functions can only be called by a command or property inspector, not an object or behaviour.

Then the email format file was saved next to the checkoutsuccess page instead of the Universal Email folder under this name: checkout_success_WAUE_HTML_WA_Universal_Email_1.php
And the wizard was off.

Thinking about it, there is nothing on the success page to submit and thereby prompt the email to be sent. Or am I getting this wrong?

I think the order is confirmed, when the customer submits the confirm page.

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

I have never seen that error message before (I am on a mac also) sounds like it might be time to delete the mac cache file

the order is not confirmed in my eyes until the payment gateway returns a success message which is why I do all my emails from the checkout success page as I can be sure the orders are paid at that point and I set the emails to be sent on page load

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into the cause of the error you are getting.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php?

Roxana

I deleted the mac cache file, and I applied the behavior without any problems. But I didn't get the email. Is there anything else I have to consider?

Our shop is a little different. We don't have a payment gateway. It is actually more like a order site than a shop.

Jimmy Wu

If you change the trigger on the Universal Email server behavior to be before page load this should send the email right before the page loads.

Roxana

Hi Jimmy, I changed the behavior, and I did get the email.

I hate to be such a bother, but it is still not working like I want it to work. For testing I only added two records to the email body: OrderID OrderLastName. The next thing I did rather intuitively, and of course it didn't work :)

I created a simple recordset from the orders table. I used that recordset to insert the information into the email body.

On the email I received, the OrderID showed 37 (it was order number 43) and the OrderLastName showed nothing. Could you let me know what I am doing wrong?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...