close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Intranet warehouse orders

Thread began 10/06/2009 11:06 am by pgruenke337369 | Last modified 10/07/2009 9:41 am by Eric Mittman | 1653 views | 3 replies |

pgruenke337369

Intranet warehouse orders

I need to create an internal shopping cart where employees can order their supplies from the warehouse. I don't need tax or shipping. I would like for the employee to sign in at the beginning of the ordering process. Best case scenario would be if their network ID was captured as a session variable/cookie and if that ID could be saved in the database. I have been using a shopping cart that I created but its buggy. I have IIS, Windows XP, Dreamweaver CS4, and VB Script.

I know I am asking alot, but would like to know how to get started. I have downloaded ecart, Security Assist, and Data Assist. Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

To ensure that the users are logged in first you should start out with Security Assist. It will generate the user login, and profile pages. If you would instead like to capture the network id you must first know what value this is, I imagine a server variable that would give you the ip address or something like that. In order for that to work you would need to have a table in your db that associated these values with the users they belonged to.

I think it may be easier to have a regular user login with Security Assist.

The rest of this is just having your product pages with the add to cart server behaviors on them so the users can add items to the cart. You would also want a cart display page so the user can see the contents of the cart. If you would like to add in a checkout you can do so by using the eCart checkout wizard on your cart display page.

This is just kind of a high level overview, please post back with any questions that you have about any part of this process.

pgruenke337369

Thanks Eric. Gives me a frame of reference.

One of the problems with our current shopping cart is that employees will place an order, which is saved to the Access database, and fail to enter their name and location. They just close the browser without submitting it, the order stays but we don't know who made it. What I was hoping was to have the user enter their name and location initially, so that when the order is created in the database, it will include who did the ordering. It isn't so much a security issue, as a completeness of the order issue.

I mentioned the network ID, which I've successfully captured via a session variable, however I have been told that it is impossible to save the session variable into a database. I was hoping to capture an identifier before the order was made, and I thought something invisible to the user would be a better method.

Difference with an internal warehouse system - the users hardly ever just "window shop".

Eric Mittman

Creating the login experience with Security Assist would allow you to have the user enter the details once, then so long as they login these details can be retrieved and associated with an order.

Using DataAssist you can insert a record into your db with just about any values, including session variables. If you can access this info on the page and store it in a variable you can use that variable as the value for a column when you insert the order info.

You could have the Security Assist pages for user registration, and add in this network identifier. You can then get the details for the user at any time based on this value, you would need to come up with a way to ensure that the network ID has been associated with a user and if not force them to the registration page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...