close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Unreadable screen

Thread began 10/02/2009 8:39 am by alan388364 | Last modified 10/09/2009 9:36 am by Eric Mittman | 1987 views | 4 replies |

alan388364

Unreadable screen

I used form builder to create a form following the instructions in your getting started guide. I have attached three images showing before adding, after adding and what the browser shows. As you can see after adding the information is all over the page and unworkable as I want to modify it. The browser image shows that although it is in the right place on the page it is full of unwanted information. How to I get past these problems..

I am sure that the extension works well in the hands of a software engineer who can write PHP scripts etc: but it doesn't seem to work too well for anyone else. I hope you can help

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

There are a couple of things going on here. The first thing is how it looks in DW after you apply the form to the page. Dreamweaver does not render the pages the same as your browser does and it rarely looks good in design view. This is why you should only check the look of the pages by previewing them.

As for the text you are getting in the form this is because you are just viewing the php file, in order for it to work correctly you will need to ensure that it is being served up from a web server with php configured. If you have a hosted account like this it would be best to upload the page and the folders to your site then check it there.

alan388364

Not wysiwyg

Thank you for your reply. As it is known that the forms are (very much) not wysiwyg it might be worth putting that information into the PDF instructions as it would save people like myself spending several hours trying to correct the problem.

alan388364

How to preview

The only way I can see what a form looks like is to upload it to the site as preview shows the same as live preview, whichever browser I use. What do I need to do to let me see what the form looks like when previewing in Dreamweaver as it is a pain having to upload it each time. I am trying to get to grips with the extension and modify the forms so that they are the size I want and will fit into my pages, but this is very difficult when I have to upload it each time I try something out.

Eric Mittman

Unfortunately because of the limitations with the rendering abilities of Dreamweaver and the dynamic properties of the forms you will need to preview them on a working server to get an idea of how they will look live. If you enter the access details into the testing server settings for your site in Dreamweaver though you can use DW's preview in browser (F12) functionality to automatically upload the page and browse to it.

This can be a big time saver if you need to do a lot of previewing of the pages you are creating.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...