close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Strange characters in email and database

Thread began 10/01/2009 6:16 am by John Langer | Last modified 12/29/2009 7:50 pm by Eric Mittman | 7662 views | 10 replies |

John LangerBeta Tester

Strange characters in email and database

Hi,
Not sure which forum to use for this. I'm guessing it's iRite but it could be a UE or even a DA issue.

I've constructed an emailing to mailing list system using these three products (DA, UE and iRite). I used DA to to create the admin area with a submit and update form. I have a text area in the form to submit the body text of the email. In this area I inserted iRite so that the email body can be formated. On the details page of DA I've inserted the UE behaviour to send the email.

The client has just sent out an email and I was one of the recipients. What he wrote was "Harvest Offering" but the email says ‘Harvest Offering’. I've looked in the MySql database and what is inserted there is ‘< b >Harvest Offering< /b >’ (I've added the spaces in < b > to prevent rendering on this forum).

Any help would be appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Check the initial value that is being used for the iRite editor. It looks like you may be doing some encoding on the value and getting the strange characters as a result. This is my best guess based on what you have here and that the value is also stored in the db this way.

When the message is sent is the body being set to the value of the iRite instance, or are you storing the value in your db first, then recalling it with a recordset to add it into the email body?

John LangerBeta Tester

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply.

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  Check the initial value that is being used for the iRite editor. It looks like you may be doing some encoding on the value and getting the strange characters as a result. This is my best guess based on what you have here and that the value is also stored in the db this way.  

Not sure what you mean by the initial value to be honest. It's just a form with iRite added.

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  When the message is sent is the body being set to the value of the iRite instance, or are you storing the value in your db first, then recalling it with a recordset to add it into the email body?  

The content is submitted into the database and then retrieved from there for the email.

Eric Mittman

What I was referring to for the initial value is for the iRite editor. If there is some formatting in the initial value it can cause issues with the characters. You can check this by editing the iRite instance and looking at the initial value on the first screen.

As for the db part since you are inserting the record into your db first it could potentially be an issue with that part as well. To determine if the characters are being inserted into the db like this you should print out the insert to see if the characters are present.

To print out the insert you can just find the WA_SQL variable in the code, it looks like this in PHP:

php:
$WA_Sql

On the next line after this variable you can print out the query with a die statement like this:

php:
die($WA_Sql);

Please give this a try to determine at one point the bad characters are being added and post back with the result you get.

John LangerBeta Tester

Hi Eric,

Now I've had a bit of time to really look at this I'm thinking that there isn't really a problem. I've sent numerous test messages and just cannot replicate the issue. I'm guessing that perhaps the client pasted directly from "Word" perhaps and that "did it". I just don't know. I have asked them but as yet had no reply.

Answering your question, the initial value was just ordinary text "Write you message here" (without the inverted commas).

If it turns out to be a real problem then I'll post back.

Thanks for your time and sorry to have wasted it.

Eric Mittman

Definitely let us know if the issues persists. Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for the problem to not happen again, but it is never very satisfying not knowing what was happening.

Blikbrein

Same strange character problems

I basically have the same setup as the person above. DA used to insert and update records with html editor in the fields for client to insert content which is then mailed as a newsletter to their subscribers.

Here is how a paragraph should look and does look when viewing in Apple Mail:

amazingly… Patrick Liew form Lancôme arranged that we spend a day at The Lancôme Institute, and if that was not enough, ended with getting our hair treated at the L’Oreal Hair Spa!

Here is the same paragraph viewed in Outlook or outlook express:

amazingly… Patrick Liew form Lancôme arranged that we spend a day at The Lancôme Institute, and if that was not enough, ended with getting our hair treated at the L’Oreal Hair Spa!

I thought it could be content pasted from Word that contained some sort of formatting, but tested the content by typing and not copying from Word. Got the same results as above.

Then I thought maybe the default content contained in the field when inserting a new record. It consisted of 3 pre-formatted tables. Also deleted it in the html editor settings and then typed text. Did not change the issue.

When viewing the content on the web, it also looks fine. It is only when mailed to recipients with Windows mail clients.

Any ideas?

Eric Mittman

To ensure that there is no extra formatting occurring you should take a look at the data that is in the db. If there is any extra formatting here you should be able to see it.

If there is no extra characters or formatting present in your db or on the pages in your site then it would indicate that the problem is how Outlook is rendering the characters in the message.

You can also test this out by sending a message to a web based email account to see if the characters show in there.

Please report back and let us know what you discover, if it is only outlook that is rendering the characters differently then you may need to adjust the encoding that Outlook is using.

Blikbrein

Got it! But not sure about solution...

I checked how the text renders in gmail and it looks fine. So I went to the specific field in the db and saw that the characters are incorrect in the db already:

amazingly… Patrick Liew form Lancôme arranged that we spend a day at The Lancôme Institute, and if that was not enough, ended with getting our hair treated at the L’Oreal Hair Spa!</p> <p>

I then remembered the same issue I had about 6 months ago with the database encoding on another website. An experienced web developer helped me to correct things, but I cannot remember where to change the code. He gave me this line to replace in that instance:

Replace sql_set_charset:

mysql_query("SET DBFIELD 'utf8'", $mydbname) or die(mysql_error());

I know the problem is caused by the db encoding. How can I correct this?

Blikbrein

Fixed

Changed the mail encoding to utf-8 in Universal e-mail general tab and mails are displaying correctly in outlook.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...