close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Extension Manager says files are in use

Thread began 9/26/2009 4:55 pm by neo314 | Last modified 10/24/2009 8:28 pm by neo314 | 4513 views | 11 replies |

neo314

Extension Manager says files are in use

During this last round of updates I keep encountering the same problem. I cannot uninstall and reinstall nor can I install over the old version of several extensions because I keep getting messages that certain files are in use. The files keep changing. I have deleted the cache. I have seen this before, but I cannot seem to get around it this time at all.

The in use files seem to primarily be in C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration\Shared\WebAssist\ApplicationBuilder... Sometimes in images sometimes in library.

Any idea how to get around this consistently?

Sign in to reply to this post

office172461

Did you make sure Dreamweaver is closed while installing extensions?

neo314

Yes. I also checked the task manager to be sure the process was not running. I also have tried shutting down and restarting the extension manager.

office172461

If you don't have any older versions of DW installed, I would say your configuration folder might be corrupt.

neo314

I don't think so. Something is telling the extension manager that the file is in use.

office172461

From Adobe:
"If Dreamweaver starts behaving unpredictably, this sometimes indicates a corrupt user configuration folder."

I would say something is wrong when files are left open in the configuration folder. I went through all of the updates, with no issues so I don't think it's a problem with the updates.

Maybe something here will help:
Solving problems with Dreamweaver
146/

neo314

Can you elaborate on that. It may help me solve the problem. If Dreamweaver is not running, how can files "be left open in the configuration folder?"

What does that mean is no program is using them. It is a huge deal to wipe the cofiguration folder and start over. I have a lot installed above and beyond the many WA extensions.

office172461

The way it normally works is that a program will open a file and mark it's status to show what other programs are allowed to do with it (i.e. if you are actively editing a file, it will be marked read-only). When the program is through with the file, it returns the status to normal to allow other programs to use it.

Sometimes a program is unable to return a file's status to normal. A corrupt folder is one of those things that can cause this. You have to determine if Extension Manager is in error thinking the files are in use, or the files are marked incorrectly. I'm guessing it's a problem with the folder.

You say that you have a lot of extensions. It's possible that is a problem as well. You may have reached a limit. You could try uninstalling one to see if it makes a difference

neo314

I think it is just weird. What I really want to know is what designates the file as in use. I was hoping it would be an xml file I could delete that would be recreated at startup like the cache file or something.

Instead I just futzed around. Deleted some things moved some things, rebooted a couple of times and everything uninstalled and reinstalled just perfectly...

;)

tia371500

This happened to me

I had this happen to me once with Dreamweaver. Not sure if it is the same thing for the WA plugin. I spoke with Adobe... was instructed to open the Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-delete) and click on processes tab.

I was having trouble with Dreamweaver still running but closed on my desktop. The rep instructed me to end process on dreamweaver.exe.

Not sure if that helps but... it worked for me.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...