close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Shipping Address Book

Thread began 9/24/2009 2:20 pm by eric284736 | Last modified 9/29/2009 5:12 pm by eric284736 | 3436 views | 10 replies |

eric284736

Shipping Address Book

I want to create an address book for a customer to add shipping addresses for different locations. When they checkout and get to the shipping information they could have a drop down box to select the address they want.

I was thinking I could have this pull from a session - if they select the name that would set the session and the page would refresh with that address filling out the shipping form. Just like the checkbox for the Shipping is the same as billing, except a drop down.

Would this be possible or am I missing an easier method?

thanks,
Eric

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You would need to create a shipping address table. the shipping address table should contain a foreign key relationship to the users table:

shippingID - Pirmary Key
shippingUserID - Foreign key to users.userID
ShippingFirstName
shippingLastName
etc...
You will need to make sure that the user is logged in before they can add shipping addresses. see the "How to apply Login/Register functionality to your Checkout Process" tutorial in the How To section of the eCart support page:
ecart/

When the user logs in, a session variable will be created with the unique primary key from the users table. In the Add Shipping Address form, store that session variable in the shippingUserID column.

To display a select list with the different shipping addresses the have entered, create a recordset the queries the shipping address table. Filter the shippingUserID column on the userID session variable.

eric284736

Thanks Jason! Got that setup, so once they select a name from the drop down how to I get that to fill into the shipping part of the form?

thx
Eric

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your drop down should have the value set to the shippingID column.

Create another recordset that filters the shipping address table on the select list, and use that recordset to populate the shipping form fields.

eric284736

Okay, but I want it to fill out the shipping part so How to I get it to refresh the checkout page to include the selected shipping address in the shipping form?

OR should I have the address selection in a pop up window and when selected address is chosen the window closes and refreshes the checkout page with the correct ship to address?

thx
Eric

eric284736

Jason,

Let me explain a little about the current setup. The checkout page is the standard page with the billing and shipping info on the same page.

So how do I bind the ship to form section to the recordset if they have not selected one yet and still keep the "Check the box if shipping is the same as billing" and still validaye the form so the required information is entered.

Would it be better to have this spread across two pages or is it possible to keep the entire function on the same page?

thanks,
Eric

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You could keep the entire thing on one page. Add the select list to a different form. When a shipping address is selected, that form posts to the page, and filters the recordset to populate the shipping form elements. The billing and shipping form will post over to the confirm page.

eric284736

Jason,

Okay I have my page setup and I have the ship to form values binded to the filtered recordset for the shipping address selected.

Because it is binded and when they first get to the page the filtered recordset is empty until they select an address. That of course will throw an error on the form and it does not display. I added a Show If statement for the shipping fields, but now the Check if shipping address is same as billing will not work initially because the shiiping fields are not shown.

how can I bind the shipping fields and still use the Shipping same as billing checkbox?

thx
Eric

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Instead of a show if around the shipping fields, use the validation tools from CSS Form builder to validate the form so that it can only be submitted if the shipping information is filled in.

eric284736

I don't have the CSS Form Builder and this is in ASP.

I have attached the page so you can see the code I have in place.

thx
Eric

Attached Files
checkoutTEST.zip

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...