close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Scrollbars not showing up in browser windows?

Thread began 9/24/2009 1:38 pm by kim388939 | Last modified 9/25/2009 9:31 am by Jason Byrnes | 5503 views | 3 replies |

kim388939

Scrollbars not showing up in browser windows?

Hi,
I'm not sure is this is strictly a CSS issue.( or if this is the right place to post this)

I recently bought the super suite, and I'm still getting acquainted with the software. I used the CSS sculptor to get a basic frame for my site.

My problem is that there are no scrollbars showing up in the browser window when needed. When viewing the site on smaller screens, some content is cut off along the bottom. My goal is to have the scrollbars appear only when needed. I haven't touched anything to purposely disable the scrollbars. I've tried changing the overflow properties, with no luck. I'm sure this is something small that I am overlooking, I'm just not able to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the site so far:
test

Here is the CSS:
/* This rule resets a core set of elements so that they will appear consistent across browsers. Without this rule, content styled with an h1 tag, for example, would appear in different places in Firefox and Internet Explorer because each browser has a different top margin default value. By resetting these values to 0, the elements will initially be rendered in an identical fashion and their properties can be easily defined by the designer in any subsequent rule. */
html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
border: 0;
outline: 0;
font-size: 100%;
}
/* The body is the outermost layout component and contains the visible page content. Setting properties for the body element will help to create consistent styling of the page content and more manageable CSS. Besides using the body element to set global properties, it is common to use the body element to set the background color of the page and create a centered container for the page content to display. */
body {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
color: #000000;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
line-height: 14px;
margin: 0; /* Sets the margin properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
padding: 0; /* Sets the padding properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
text-align: center; /* Centers the page content container in IE 5 browsers. */
width: auto;
}
/* Commonly used to style page titles. */
h1 {
color: #00548e;
font-size: 13px;
font-weight: normal;
text-transform: capitalize;
}
/* Commonly used to style section titles. */
h2 {
color: #00548e;
font-size: 12px;
}
/* Sets the style for the h3 header. */
h3 {
color: #FBE18B;
font-size: 10px;
text-transform: capitalize;
letter-spacing: 1px;
}
/* Sets the style for the h4 header. */
h4 {
font-size: 9px;
}
/* Sets the style for unvisited links. */
a, a:link {
text-decoration: none;
}
/* Sets the style for visited links. */
a:visited {
color: #3b62a6;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
}
/* Sets the style for links on mouseover. */
a:hover {
color: #ca0009;
text-decoration: underline;
}
/* Sets the style for a link that has focus. */
a:focus {
color: #ca0009;
}
/* Sets the style for a link that is being activated/clicked. */
a:active {
color: #262499;
}
/* This is a container for the page content. It is common to use the container to constrain the width of the page content and allow for browser chrome to avoid the need for horizontal scrolling. For fixed layouts you may specify a container width and use auto for the left and right margin to center the container on the page. IE 5 browser require the use of text-align: center defined by the body element to center the container. For liquid layouts you may simply set the left and right margins to center the container on the page. */
#outerWrapper {
background-color: #fff; /* Sets the margin properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
text-align: left; /* Redefines the text alignment defined by the body element. */
width:auto;
position: fixed;
z-index: -1;
top: 0;
left:0;
right: 0px;
bottom: 0px;
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
#outerWrapper #header {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
background-image: url(../../_images/head_bg_slice.jpg);
border-bottom: solid 1px #5a6484; /* Sets the bottom border properties for an element using shorthand notation */
font-size: 18px;
font-weight: bold;
height: 222px;
line-height: 15px; /* Sets the padding properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
background-repeat: repeat-x;
}
#outerWrapper #topNavigation {
height: 24px; /* Sets the padding properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
background-image: url(../../_images/nav.jpg);
width: 100%;
margin: 0px;
}
#outerWrapper #contentWrapper {
height: auto;
}
#outerWrapper #contentWrapper #leftColumn1 {
background-color: #FFFFFF; /* Sets the right border properties for an element using shorthand notation */
float: left; /* Sets the padding properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
width: 313px;
background-image: url(../../_images/sidebar.jpg);
padding: 10px;
}
/* Contains the main page content. When using a mutliple column layout the margins will be set to account for the floated columns' width, margins, and padding. */
#outerWrapper #contentWrapper #content {
padding: 10px;
margin-top: 0em;
margin-right: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 33em;
}
#outerWrapper #footer {
background-color: #FFFFFF; /* Sets the padding properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
background-image: url(../../_images/dotted_line.jpg);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
padding-top: 15px;
padding-right: 10px;
padding-bottom: 10px;
padding-left: 10px;
}

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

What Browser and Platform are you using?

I have viewed your page in FireFox Safari and IE7 - 8 on Windows Vista, and the scroll bars along the right and bottom of the browser widow are appearing for me. I am not able to reproduce the problem.

kim388939

Problem Solved

Hi Jason, thanks, but I figured it out!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Ok, great. what turned out to be the problem?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...