close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dynamic Dependent Drop-down selection menus

Thread began 8/19/2022 11:10 am by yogastudents362523 | Last modified 8/21/2022 12:08 pm by Ray Borduin | 182 views | 3 replies |

yogastudents362523

Dynamic Dependent Drop-down selection menus

Hello,

Do you have a tutorial or video that would assist me in attaining this objective?

I know neither Ajax nor Javascript, and so am having a problem.

I have two <Select><Option>.....</Option></Select> menus on a page. The former is for ClassType, the latter for ClassLength.
But unfortunately, the available ClassLengths depend on the ClassTypes.

Therefore, I need the options in the second menu (ClassLength) to change dynamically according as to what is selected in the first (ClassType); and preferably before the Submit button is pushed.

I have tried Googling, and have seen examples where this is done by incorporating both JavaScript and Ajax, but have not spotted anything that is straightforward for me to implement.

Can your tools do this? And if so do you again have either a tutorial or a video? Or even an example I can try to adapt?

I will understand if you do not.

Thank you,
KB

Sign in to reply to this post

yogastudents362523

Hi

I THINK I might have found something I can use.

I will report back.
Thank you

yogastudents362523

FATAL ERROR

Hello,

The Ajax/Javascript is now working perfectly. But it leaves me needing to run your MySQLExecuteQuery extension before the subsequent page loads, and so I can amend the data slightly.

Unfortunately, those execute query instructions give me the following error:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'WA_MySQLi_Query' not found in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx.com/httpdocs/presenters/presenter_switchboard_classes_view.php:6 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxx.com/httpdocs/presenters/presenter_switchboard_classes_view.php on line 6

I get that error even when the SQL query string is empty. This is the code involved:

<?php
if ("" === "") {
$ExecuteQuery = new WA_MySQLi_Query($mysqli_xxxxx);
$ExecuteQuery->Statement = "";
$ExecuteQuery->execute();
$ExecuteGoTo = "";
if (function_exists("rel2abs")) $ExecuteGoTo = $ExecuteGoTo?rel2abs($ExecuteGoTo,dirname(__FILE__)):"";
$ExecuteQuery->redirect($ExecuteGoTo);
}
?>

I give you the URL's in the private area, thank you.

yogastudents362523

RESOLVED

Hello,

Your MySQLi extension was placing itself in the wrong location.

The following code snippets had inserted themselves at the tops of the files.

<?php require_once('../Connections/mysqli_xxxxxxxxx.php'); ?>
<?php require_once('../webassist/mysqli/rsobj.php'); ?>
<?php require_once('../webassist/mysqli/authentication.php'); ?>
<?php require_once('../webassist/mysqli/queryobj.php'); ?>

When the extension then came to insert the "ExecuteQuery" code snippet, it was searching ONLY for the upper
rsobj.php
file, and inserted itself there. It therefore pushed
queryobj.php
down the page. It clearly, therefore, did not have the information it needed to execute the instructions upon the database.

As soon as I realized this (fresh morning eyes), I moved the offending queryobj.php line above the ExecuteQuery code snippet, and everything is now working like a dream.

I do not know why it inserted itself into such an inauspicious location, but all is now fixed.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience.
KB.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...