close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PayPal Commerce Platform?

Thread began 5/17/2022 1:34 pm by TroyD | Last modified 7/13/2022 11:04 am by Ray Borduin | 797 views | 39 replies |

TroyD

PayPal Commerce Platform?

I have several eCart sites that use PayPal Pro/Advanced for checkout. Now I am being asked if I can change a couple of them over to something called "PayPal Commerce Platform".

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/multiparty/

I'm having trouble finding any useful information about what it is other than the link above, which is pretty confusing. Is there any information anywhere as to how it relates to eCart in this scenario? As with all PayPal methods, there are several names for the same thing. In this case, I also see "Marketplaces" and "Multiparty Payments". I think they all somehow work together maybe? I don't know.

Thanks,
TroyD

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What features are they interested in that makes them want to change? I could probably help in a premier support ticket, but we don't have any extensions for it yet.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

TroyD

Sorry Ray, I just saw your reply.

There really isn't a feature that they need. It's all based on a better rate on the charges. I think the Commerce Platform is something new and PP is promoting it. Honestly, I do not know why the rate is better for the new platform but that's what they said would be required.

Anyway, I have a conference call with PP in a couple of days, and they are going to fill me in on what is required in terms of the api. If you don't mind, I will report back what I find out, then perhaps once my client decides what we are doing, I can make a decision on what help will be needed.

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Are you sure the rates are different? It looks like a different api to the same payment options. I don't see how it would save any processing fees.

Where did you see the better rate on charges advertised?

Premier support tickets are $100 per hour. This is something that would probably take about 2 hours.

TroyD

I think this was an instance where they called up PP and mentioned they could get better rates somewhere else. So PP beat that rate but said they could only do it if they moved to the new platform. Not sure why.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

OK, well let me know what they decide.

TroyD

It has been several days of research, then dead ends mixed with a lot of other projects that took me away from this. So sorry for the delay in following up.

After my phone conference with PP, they sent me a couple of links to read documents. Ignore the link in my first post. That one is for much larger applications.

This is what they sent me.

Documentation
Advanced Checkout Overview - https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/advanced/
Integration Details - https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/advanced/integrate/
JavaScript SDK reference - https://developer.paypal.com/sdk/js/
Orders API - https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/

Then the example file
https://github.com/paypal-examples/docs-examples/tree/main/advanced-integration

The examples they show use EJS templating and I couldn't seem to get node.js on my local MAMP server. They don't offer any other examples, so I did some searching. Although I did find some PayPal Rest API examples, they all use composer. SO, I setup composer for my local project root. The files I have created based on some tutorials seem to be functioning but honestly, I don't think those are using the right SDK for the front end.

I really wish they could provide a barebones example in php so I can see how this is suppose to work.
I know there is a client-side and a server-side. A request and a response.
The PayPal js SDK is used on the client-side and the Orders REST API is used on the server-side. But then you have to generate a client token and I can't seem to figure any of that out.

Since eCart has always been there to do all of that, I don't have the experience but I'm trying to learn. I'm just trying to have all the materials I need ready, before requesting a Premier support ticket so I will get back to you on my progress and when I'm at that point.

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'm sure I can take it from here when you are ready as long as you have an active account setup.

TroyD

Ray,

If by "active account setup" you mean a developer account along with business and buyer sandbox accounts, yes. I also have the REST App & API credentials ready. Is it ok that they are my dummy accounts and not associated with the actual client's account for now? I figured I would get the local staging version of the site working, then I can simply swap out the sandbox api credentials created by my client in their account later.

(see pm)

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Just call me using the number at the bottom of the webassist site and we can coordinate a time for a meeting.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...