close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

dwsync.xml issues

Thread began 5/07/2022 3:41 pm by yogastudents362523 | Last modified 5/09/2022 1:49 pm by Ray Borduin | 539 views | 6 replies |

yogastudents362523

dwsync.xml issues

Hello,

Hoping you are well.

This is not a webassist anomaly, but an exclusively DreamWeaver one. So I will understand if you do not wish to deal with it. But I am at a complete loss; Adobe is zero help.

Have bought and migrated to a new computer. And when I now try to work on a file in a site, DW tells me it cannot save the file; and follows this with a string of error messages concerning a host of "dwsync.xml" files in various folders.

Remedies I have tried:

(A) Deleting every dwsync.xml file in site using either or both of File Explorer and XYPlorer, taking care to search also for hidden files.
(B) Using "Manage Sites" in DW to find "Design Notes" section under "Advanced Settings"; and unchecking "Maintain Design Notes".

Yet when I close then restart DW, it insists on reprising those same messages.

And ... ... ... when I check those folders again, the dwsync.xml files are all back, having seemingly been rewritten.

So I delete them again; repeat; and the same again.

They seem to be rebuilt either as DW is loading, or else as it is closing down.

Any ideas how I bypass this issue?

Thank you for your kindness,
KB

Sign in to reply to this post

yogastudents362523

Hello,

(1) Eventually used File Explorer to delete all "dwsync.xml" files everywhere.
(2) Completely uninstalled then reinstalled DW.
(3) Reloaded DW then loaded single php page from a site.
(4) Pressed space bar to insert single space at end of first line.
(5) Received message: "Access denied to xxxx.php".
(5a) But now slight improvement because not getting string of amorphous messages re "dwsync.xml" files
(6) But cannot edit then save any site files whatever. All getting same "Access denied message".

Thank you.

yogastudents362523

RESOLVED: Bug in DreamWeaver (re external drives)

Hello,

Issue is an external drive. I constantly switch from desktop to laptop, and have always kept important files on external drive for easy transfer, and so I can work on planes, etc with no trouble.

Suddenly occured to me that this might be the issue, and so I copied all files over onto new laptop's hard drive. Problem suddenly went away.

I do not think it is an underlying issue with Windows 11 because InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator etc working fine on new laptop plus external drive combo. Issue only arises with DreamWeaver.

Now about to report this to Adobe as a bug.

Sorry for troubling you,
KB

Ray BorduinWebAssist

No problem... Are you accessing the drive through a network? Can you read and write files to the external drive from the computer that gives the error? It sounds like it could just be a network permissions issue.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

yogastudents362523

Hi,

Thanks for message. No, no network involved. Just a straight forward USB drive attached.

I have reported it to Adobe, but do not have much hope of any response.

It seems, however, only to happen on Windows 11. I resuscitated the Windows 10 I was using.

I copied the entire site folder onto the root drive of my old Windows 10 machine, and it of course worked fine.

I then thought to copy the entire folder also onto the root drive of the new Windows 11 machine; and that also worked just fine!!!!!
So I am going to work on the Windows 11 machine for 24 hours or so to make sure that it works on all my sites and the like.

Then I shall try copying that working folder for one of my sites back onto the external drive attached to the laptop, and see what happenes.

That is to say, I am wondering whether it is in fact something in Windows 11, albeit I am only having this issue with DreamWeaver. Maybe if DreamWeaver is given the chance to write its files to the folders; and then those folders and files are copied onto the external drive; then maybe they will work?

I will try that tomorrow and let you know what happens. These computers are weird and I can't think what else might be up.

KAB

yogastudents362523

MORE POSITIVE RESOLUTION

Hello,

I now have a solution, although I still think it's a DreamWeaver bug. But just in case anyone else runs into this issue then:

1. Copy complete site folder FROM external drive TO folder on mahine's native hard drive.
2. Use "Manage Sites" option to change site folder FROM external drive TO local machine hard drive.
3. Open and close a few pages in new site (just to be certain all working OK).
3. Then use "Manage Sites" to create duplicate of site (so as to avoid need to reinput passwords etc).
4. Use Windows 11 File Explorer to copy entire site folder FROM local drive TO external drive.
5. Use "Manage Sites" to select new folder on external drive as site folder.
6. Open up page from above NEW recreated site.

All should now be well.

Don't know why DW makes us go through that charade. But all now seems to be working.

Probably easier to just work with remote folder, but one sometimes is on a plane or etc., plus I use different machines. And an external drive is so often more convenient.

KB

yogastudents362523

Hello,

Since it surely affects your business decisions, I thought the exchange I had with certain individuals at the Adobe Forums when I reported this issue with DreamWeaver would be of interest to you. Please see private area.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...