close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

emails not being sent

Thread began 4/22/2022 6:29 am by msmoose2400634 | Last modified 4/27/2022 4:30 pm by Ray Borduin | 593 views | 6 replies |

msmoose2400634

emails not being sent

I have a form ContactUs.php and a ContactUs_Sent.php and I used the WA Server Behaviour "Sent Email"; there are 3 fields on the form;emailaddress; subject; messagebody.and a "Sendbutton". The ContactUs.php when the Sendbutton is pressed the system navigates to the correct page; contactus_sent.php; but no email is received. I have a screen copy of the Server Behavioiur. I checked to make sure that all of the files where uploaded to the testing server and I also hardcoded both the "busemail" (which is coming from a recordset)nand the emailadddress in thee Server Behaviour. I also changed the POST to GET; and nothing seems to work.http://mussolinetestserver.site/contact/contactUs.php

Attached Files
Doc1.pdf
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Some email servers will not send emails that aren't FROM a valid email address from that server. Try setting the FROM to an email address like:

webmaster@yourdomain.com (and make sure it is a valid email address).

It could also be that the recordset you are using for the TO address isn't working properly.

I'd try getting it working with a hard coded TO and FROM and then change them to dynamic values one at a time to narrow down the problem.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

msmoose2400634

The from email address is coming from a visitor on the form who is putting their email address is the form. So it can not be an email that is coming from the server. Also I know that the email server does accept this type of email because I have been using it for the last 10 years on the current websites using Dreamweaver and the Dreamweaver toolkit; The recordset is correct as i have checked that it is a valid email. Also did harcode both the from email address and the To email address to trouble shoot before I submitted this post to you.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It still didn't send when you hard-coded the from and to? Even if the email is coming from the person filling out the form, I'd use a local email address for the FROM and use the email address in the form as the REPLY_TO. That would improve deliver-ability.

I'll probably have to debug this one live. Can you send me FTP access?

msmoose2400634

Okay, I put a "hidden field" in the form which is the business email address coming from a recordset (this is who the email address is going to), and still no email.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Your <form> tag has the action set to: /contact/contactUs_sent.php

That makes the form post directly to that page and doesn't give the email a chance to send.

You need to remove the form action so the page submits to itself and then use the email redirect to go to the sent page.

msmoose2400634

Thank you Ray, obviously I didn't realize that the server behaviour (Send Email) would navigate to the Email Sent.php page, but now I do. Karen

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...