close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Recordset for a date range – what am I doing wrong?

Thread began 12/22/2021 7:35 am by Mags | Last modified 12/25/2021 11:51 am by Ray Borduin | 429 views | 6 replies |

Mags

Recordset for a date range – what am I doing wrong?

Hi Ray, I have a diary system set up which allows users to add events to a calendar and then an email is issued 1 month before the event with further instructions (I use a cron job to load the Universal email page which sends to the recordset). However I also need to allow for 'latecomers' who add an event within a month of the event date so that they receive the email the day it's added. I thought I had this working but I've realised that it's actually selecting all the records between the date added and the event date, even if that date is more than one month away.

So for example, say the EventDate is 2022-04-03 and DateAdded is 2021-12-22 14:42:56 (timestamp). I want to return the record on 3rd March 2022 (1 month before the event).

If the EventDate was 2022-01-03 and DateAdded is 2021-12-22 14:42:56, it needs to return the record today because the event is less than 1 month away.

This is my current query:

SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE (calendar.EventDate = DATE_ADD(CURDATE(),INTERVAL 1 MONTH) OR calendar.DateAdded BETWEEN CURDATE() AND DATE_ADD(calendar.EventDate, INTERVAL 1 MONTH))

- this is returning the first example even though the event is more than 1 month away.

I have to make it 'between' today and the event date so that it doesn’t return the same record every day up until the event date, which would cause the email to be sent every day. I’ve tried every possible combination and I think I’m now code-blind – can you see what I’m doing wrong?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think you want:

SELECT * FROM calendar
WHERE
(calendar.EventDate = DATE_ADD(CURDATE(),INTERVAL 1 MONTH) AND calendar.DateAdded < DATE_ADD(calendar.EventDate,INTERVAL 1 MONTH))
OR
(calendar.DateAdded = CURDATE() AND calendar.EventDate BETWEEN CURDATE() AND DATE_ADD(calendar.EventDate, INTERVAL 1 MONTH))

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Mags

Thanks for looking at this for me. Your suggestion returns the record when the event date is one month from today, but it doesn't work if the DateAdded is within one month of the EventDate. It seems to be the second where clause that doesn't work:

(calendar.DateAdded = CURDATE() AND calendar.EventDate BETWEEN CURDATE() AND DATE_ADD(calendar.EventDate, INTERVAL 1 MONTH))

So if I have an event on 2022-01-07 and I add it today, I want it to return the record but the above query doesn't. Not sure if it's relevant but EventDate is a Date field and DateAdded is a Timestamp.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Since it is a timestamp, it includes minutes and seconds, so the comparison for today would fail. I think you would want:

(DATE(calendar.DateAdded) = CURDATE() AND calendar.EventDate BETWEEN CURDATE() AND DATE_ADD(calendar.EventDate, INTERVAL 1 MONTH))

Mags

I thought that had solved the problem, but I'm still getting the record returned when the event is more than 1 month away. I've copied the full query in the PM and attached a screenshot of the record that's being returned. Much appreciated that you looked at this for me when we're so close to Christmas - I'm sending you a donation to buy a Christmas beer or two!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I decided to start from scratch... This is what I came up with:

(calendar.EventDate = DATE_ADD(CURDATE(),INTERVAL 1 MONTH))
OR
((DATE(calendar.DateAdded) = CURDATE()) AND calendar.EventDate BETWEEN CURDATE() AND DATE_ADD(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 1 MONTH)))

The logic is:
(calendar.EventDate = DATE_ADD(CURDATE(),INTERVAL 1 MONTH))

(the event starts exactly one month from today)

OR

((DATE(calendar.DateAdded) = CURDATE()) AND calendar.EventDate BETWEEN CURDATE() AND DATE_ADD(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 1 MONTH)))

(the event was added today) AND the event is between today and one month from today

Mags

Works perfectly, thanks so much and have a great Christmas!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...