close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How do I apply a discount at checkout for a certain group of individuals?

Thread began 10/19/2021 8:18 am by Supreme Geek | Last modified 12/15/2021 6:55 pm by Ray Borduin | 802 views | 18 replies |

Supreme Geek

I would like to apply a 5% discount to members who are "Red Star" life members of our organization at checkout? Is there a way to do this? I was thinking of a permanent coupon somehow with a 5% discount. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help once again! Have a nice day, eh?
All the best,

Dale Iannello
Webmaster
Military Order of the Cootie

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

How can you identify "Red Star" members? You can use that to identify who gets the coupon, usually by setting a session variable when they log in and using that as a condition for the discount rule.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Supreme Geek

Hey Ray,
I don't quite understand. Presently nobody logs into the store. They just go to the store, select what they want and check out to purchase their items. I didn't know that I could have them log in at all. I went to the discount tab but couldn't figure out how to set up a rule for the discount. Since nobody logs in, is there a way to add a Red Star Life Member checkbox on the checkout page so that when checked, it automatically discounts 5% off of the total purchase? Thanks for your help Ray!
All the best,
Dale

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You could add a checkbox, but everyone would check it... but that would work if that is what you want to do.

Just save a session variable when the box is checked and you can set a discount based on if the session variable is set or not.

Supreme Geek

Hey Ray,
I have a couple of questions...
1. Where again do I set this session variable?
2. Do I use an updateable checkbox?
3. Do I add a percentage symbol somewhere, or does it automatically know that I want 5% discounted.

As you can tell, I'm a little confused, eh? Thanks again for your help Brother!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Let's do this in a premier support session next week so we can discuss it over the phone, do screen sharing, and get it all sorted. It shouldn't take long with us on the phone and me behind the wheel.

Supreme Geek

5% discount for Red Star life members

Hey Ray,
Sorry for the delay. I've been ill. Also, my boss won't pay for the premium session. A check box would be best for the moment. We're an honest bunch of veterans. So, if you could just tell me how to make this check box and what code to modify, I would appreciate it very much! Have a nice day, eh/
All the best,
Dale A. Iannello

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You add a checkbox to the page. Save the checkbox value in the session, then add a rule to the eCart to give a discount based on the session variable value.

Supreme Geek

5% discount for Red Star life members

Hey Ray,
Since the "checkbox" looked kind of complicated and there's a "js" file associated with it (I was copying the shipping copy checkbox) I added a space to enter the person's life membership number by the "name" on the "checkout.php" page. I copied the "name" code and modified it:

<tr>
<th><label for="Red_Star_LM" >Red Star Life Member Number</label></th>
<td><input type="text" name="Red_Star_LM" id="Red_Star_LM"" /></td>
</tr>

Then I went to the eCart Object dialog box and tried to add a session variable on the "Discount" tab. I named it "Red_Star_LM". I selected the "Session Variable Exists" on the dropdown. The snapshot is attached....I saved the dialog box and uploaded it to the server. Well, it did not work at all. I got one of those HTTP errors that said that the store wasn't working. So, reverted everything to how it was before. The error kinda startled me a little bit, since a lot of people order from the site. But, now it works like it should. Obviously I'm doing something wrong here. Your help is greatly appreciated Ray! Have a nice day!

All the best,
Dale Iannello

Ray BorduinWebAssist

First you have to use the "Set Session Value" server behavior to actually set the session value based on the form element.

Then the Calculation should be: Based on the cart subtotal times 0.05... you can't use plus 5%

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...