close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' on line 1

Thread began 4/03/2021 9:15 am by Daryl | Last modified 4/04/2021 10:12 am by Ray Borduin | 506 views | 9 replies |

DarylBeta Tester

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' on line 1

I have an old site using Framework Builder, I have only updated some text in a file that is a plugin and have uploaded it to find the site now gets the above error.

I have tried loading the individual included files and have found that the error exists on files that have a database connection in a folder called Connections.

It is a MySQL connection, the PHP version is 5.6. The site was working OK until I updated an unrelated included file however.

and also on non database driven pages that have the following in line 1 and 3

<?php require_once('../webassist/framework/framework.php'); ?>

<?php require_once('../webassist/framework/library.php'); ?>

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The error message should include a file name.

I'd have to see the files involved to comment on how to fix it. Can I get FTP access? It sounds like it might be an issue with the connection file. Maybe you can attach that? If you attach the files involved and give the full error message I might be able to figure it out without ftp access.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

DarylBeta Tester

Hi Ray

I have added details below, the error says its line 1 of index.php but that is the framework.php file.

I have been having issues with the extensions putting the code in unusual places and also with dreamweaver seeming to remove the first column of characters when I open them so I have been trying to resolve some of these issues manually.

I have opened all the included files in Sublime text but am unable to find any unmatched curly braces.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I downloaded your index.php file and all of the line breaks were removed. The entire file was on line 1.

I added line breaks back including changing things like: <?phpif

I now get the same error on another file. I'm thinking this might be an issue in a lot of files on your site.

That is what was causing the issue. I'm not sure what removed all of the line breaks. What are you using to upload the files? The issue was the corrupted index file.

My only guess is that the FTP program you are using is removing the line breaks.

DarylBeta Tester

Thanks Ray

Thats interesting and would explain the error code.

I am using Dreamweaver for FTP upload of files.

When I view the files locally they appear to be normal but have also had to manually correct some code like there <?phpif that you have mentioned

The files look OK if accessed directly from channel as well

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you go to Preferences in dreamweaver and look at Code Format, what is selected as the "Line Break Type"?

DarylBeta Tester

CR LF (Windows)

Should this be CR (Macintosh) as I am on Mac?

This is something that I have never needed to change before

Ray BorduinWebAssist

CR LF should work. It includes both, so usually if anything that could cause double line breaks. Maybe try restarting Dreamweaver or try a different FTP program and see if that helps. You could try different line break settings. Maybe even changing to another one and back would work. Something is causing DW to remove them, but I've honestly never seen that before.

DarylBeta Tester

I have changed to CR Mac and re-downloaded the index.php from the server and now everything is bunched up into 7 lines

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is the problem... yeah I wouldn't download the files. The files are messed up online, your local copy was the good one. I can't tell you what the issue is causing it. You may need to go back and add the line breaks manually at this point.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...