close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Users reporting login problems on multiple sites

Thread began 3/01/2021 8:04 am by Mags | Last modified 3/03/2021 8:57 am by Ray Borduin | 436 views | 4 replies |

Mags

Users reporting login problems on multiple sites

Hi Ray, I run three websites for one client and there are several different SA login sections on these sites for different users. Apparently the company gets regular queries from their users that they can't login.

Unfortunately we never really get a proper explanation as to what's happening (as you know users tend to just say "it's not working" and expect you to troubleshoot from that!) I've told them to ask the usual questions such as which browser they're using, what the actual issue is etc but we get very little feedback.

One issue that I have myself on a fairly regular basis is that Chrome in particular sometimes just won't let me login to these sites even though I know my login details are correct. If I login via an incognito window, or in another browser, it works fine. I know therefore that it’s probably a cookie-related issue. However, even if I clear the cookies for the website, restart the browser, restart the computer, run CCleaner etc etc, it still won’t let me login. The only successful method I’ve discovered so far is if I use the forgotten password link to reset my password, that seems to force Chrome into updating the stored details and I can then login. I should add that this only happens on the sites I’ve built using SA – I don’t have this issue with other sites I use.

I wonder if you would mind taking a look at a couple of my login pages just in case there’s something obvious that might be causing problems? I’m thinking it could be:

• Duplicate or incorrect code on the login pages, or wrong code order
• Different login pages for different sections of one site but all using the same SA files – maybe users have a different password for each and Chrome is only remembering one?
• Something in the way the session cookies are set

I’ve attached some login pages, if you could cast your eye over them it would be much appreciated. I’m just about to amalgamate these three sites into one so I’d like to get this sorted out before I do so!

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I don't see any issues on that page.

I have seen where chrome saved passwords make it difficult to put in the correct password if the wrong one is saved. Perhaps that is the issue? I'd really have to debug the page live with a browser that can demonstrate the issue in order to debug why it happens.

If you can reproduce it, then we can do a screen sharing session and I can try to figure out what is going on.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Mags

I do think that's likely the issue, but I probably can't reproduce it until the next time it happens to me! If and when it does, I'll get back in touch and you can maybe take a look.

I do also think that a lot of the time it's user error - for example, a lot of people say the Forgot Password facility doesn't work, but I've tested it and I know it does. Or someone else said "I try to log in sometimes and put my username and password in and it won’t work, then I click on the link to bring the log in page up again and it just takes me in" - which sounds to me as if they're using a link to the login page rather than a link to the protected page, so when they login there's no page to redirect to. Others say they never receive the emails with their login details... the list goes on!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I just need to reproduce an issue and I can look into it. Once you have an issue you can reproduce for me, or give me steps to reproduce, then I'm sure I can fix it.

Just let me know when you can reproduce the issue and I can set up a screen sharing session to debug it with you.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Mags

Thanks Ray, will do.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...