close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Database

Thread began 9/19/2009 3:35 pm by madelectrical386948 | Last modified 9/20/2009 9:37 am by office172461 | 5912 views | 7 replies |

madelectrical386948

Database

Hi,

I really need some help and to understand what I need to do.

I downloaded the webassist database starter kit. I have never done a database before.

The objective is to do a standard login for a website.

I have a Vista machine SP2. I would love to try these tools out like the Database for PHP.
I also use dreamweaver.

So I am watching the movies and on the 1st one it shows a inetpub directory and wwwroot. They call this the windows webserver root. The root can be anything you want. Correct? Where do I get those files. There are 11 files and they want to put the Database Elearning folder under the root.

The reason this is important, dreamweaver doesn't like my setup and I cannot add any database at all.

I am completely at a lose. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong and can help me step by step. If you can, please do.

thx

Mike

Sign in to reply to this post

office172461

For a development environment, you need a web sever (i.e. Apache - most common, or IIS), database server (i.e. MySQL) and PHP (Scripting language).

The easiest way to set all that up is to use something like XAMPP (Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Pearl. This does all the heavy work installing all of these for you, and includes some extra tools to make it easier to manage.

You can find XAMPP here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

There are some graphical installation instructions for XAMPP here:
http://janet.valade.com/installation/xampp_install.html

When you enter a URL like localhost/ it will take you to the webroot of the web server running on your local machine. So if you had your files in a folder called C:\xampp\htdocs\testwebsite, you would use the URL:

testwebsite/

In your browser to access the website.

madelectrical386948

So the files I saw on the movie are not the files I need then. Ok,

I have tried to get the XAMPP to work, but for some reason Apache is not working. So if I use maybe IIS (which every microsoft computer has) and MySQL and PHP. How do I tie those together to work with the data.

So really I need all of these to work to do the database starter kit. Is that correct?

thx

Mike D

madelectrical386948

I know I keep posting to myself and thanks office172461. You gave me the direction I needed and I successfully got the XAMPP to work.

This thread info is good for anybody who has made the stupid mistakes I did.

I originally I installed Apache 2.2.8 and downloaded the PHP 5.2.10.

Well I guess you need to tie these 2 things together and it was really hard to understand thru all the notes how and what you are changing. I could get Apache to work, but not the PHP.

I read about XAMPP which is tied together and thought what a great idea.

Whoever reads this thread, make sure when you remove Apache or XAMPP with a new ver., you must delete every reference in the registry. Nothing will work until you do.

XAMPP is working now and thanks for the direction.

Mike

office172461

You're most welcome.

I've never liked IIS and I think it's easier to just avoid it. Most hosts use Apache anyway so why deal with two different web servers. And yes you have to tell Apache how to handle PHP and where it is. XAMPP ties everything you need into a nice clean package. Just remember that it's not secure enough to use as a production server without tweaking it. It's specifically designed to make development easy.

Glad you got things sorted, and thanks for posting back the results.

BTW XAMPP is available for Linux, Windows, OS X, and Solaris and is free:
xampp.html

madelectrical386948

Thx for the reply.

I need to add that if you do change ports like I did to 8080, you must use
localhost:8080 to start the XAMPP page. I have such a headache from all of this, but I got it working.

Yes, I have read that the security is not really there and it's mostly used as a test server which I want to do to follow all the great WebAssist database movies. I want to learn everything I can.

So my last question for the night, I have XAMPP running. That is good! Now how do I tie the database movies and files I must move to make it work. To follow the instructions and learn how to setup my 1st database.

So do I move my database-elearning folder to my XAMPP directory, under the xampp\htdocs\whatever my site is called. Is this correct?

Thx

Mike

office172461

Yes that should do it. It's been awhile since I watched the videos but if you think of the htdocs folder on XAMPP as the same as where you copy your files to your host's web server you'll be fine.

office172461

Update

I took your extra notes and put everything into one article here:

How to set up a local testing server for Dreamweaver
144/

Let me know if anything else would be helpful to include.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...