close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Where is the format for a phone number controlled?

Thread began 9/18/2009 7:10 pm by steve387748 | Last modified 9/23/2009 11:57 am by Jimmy Wu | 4409 views | 5 replies |

steve387748

Where is the format for a phone number controlled?

In DW, if you want to add a spry effect for validating a phone number you can pick the type of validation and add custom validating through regular expressions.

How/where do I do something like that using FB? I tried using Edit Form and selected Custom but saw nothing change in regards to how to add a regular expression such as 000-000-0000 to validate what the user enters. Basically I'm trying to change the current way FB saves the phone number format since I don't want parentheses around the area code.

steve

Sign in to reply to this post

tom92909Beta Tester

Client/Server side Validation Toolkit.

Client side is fast and easily implemented.
Server side is more difficult to implement, but far more secure.

Included in Form Builder:

# Client-side Spry validation
* Integrates with Dreamweaver Property inspector
* Customizable error messages
* Separate, styled CSS states

# Server-side PHP validation
* Backwards compatible with Validation Toolkit

steve387748

How do I edit the server side validation?

I searched FB to see where the client-side validation is checking for a US/Canada phone format and noticed that I could edit the spry effect and choose Custom for the format of the phone number where I would like it to be 000-000-0000, I even tried making the change there, but of course when re-entering Form Designer or anything else, it's overriden because the format is chosen as US/Canada in FB.

When using Edit Form for the phone number and selecting Phone Number as the type, the Format option shows US/Canada as well as Custom. If I choose Custom nothing happens for me to enter any custom settings. Does the custom format feature not work in FB?

thanks,

steve

Jimmy Wu

The server validation rules can be edited by going to the server behaviors panel and double clicking on the WA Server Validations server behavior. There should be a list of the server behaviors you have applied and you can edit the server behaviors there.

Stevebo

I double clicked on WA Server Validations and found the Phone Number Variable listed. When I double click on Phone Number, I see a pop-up that shows Allow Internationsl, Force Area Code, Allow blank entry.

Is this not the right place to control the format of the regular expression? I can't see anywhere that I could put in this custom format I'm after.

I can edit the spry effect and put it in there (by clicking Format -> custom which provides a field to enter the regular expression), but then the custom stuff will be overwritten when making changes via FB.

What about the FB format section for phone number where Custom is a value? I can click on Custom but there isn't anywhere to enter the custom regular expression.

Also, where is it that the parentheses are being added to the area code if I simply choose US/Canada for the format rather than Custom?

steve

Jimmy Wu

If you have a custom format, you can remove the phone number validation from the server behaviors and apply a regular expression validation using the regular expression for the phone number format that you want.

To put in your own format into the spry validation, you will have to change the format in the validation creation area. Here is a page that will help you with this:
textfield_overview/

About halfway down the page is the phone number section.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...