close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Search for exact whole word within a string of words

Thread began 10/21/2020 4:07 pm by TroyD | Last modified 10/27/2020 2:01 pm by Ray Borduin | 554 views | 9 replies |

TroyD

Search for exact whole word within a string of words

I need to add a textbox to search the exact whole word, within a string of words. But only if it has that exact whole word and not be part of another word. Basically I need to set the spaces as the word boundary when looking for the search term.

For example if I have a name column that stores the entire name and I need to search for all names that have “Alan” in them.

John Alan Doe
Johnny Smith
Alana Miller
Sally Johnson
Alan Alda

If I use Includes to compare, it would return 3 names including Alana Miller. If I use = to compare, it would return nothing.

The desired return would be the 2 names (ignoring Alana Miller):
John Alan Doe
Alan Alda

Is this possible or should I be using preg_match some how? I see that preg_match is already built into WA.

Thanks,
TroyD

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What are you using for the search? Is this mysqli? are you using the recordset directly or the search server behavior? Is that the only search option? I need more information in order to set you in the right direction.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

TroyD

Sorry Ray. I'm not sure why I didn't include all the details.

It's mysqli. The recordset queries the entire list of records to begin with, then a search behavior was added that will currently contain just the one textbox, but another might be added later.

Thanks,
Troy

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Add three searches to the search server behavior.

Begins with, Ends with, and includes

For the begins with search add a space at the end
For the ends with search add a space in the beginning
For the includes search add a space on both sides.

That way it would find:
"Alan "Alda
with the begins with search

and
John" Alan "Doe
with the includes search

and
Barry" Alan"
with the ends with search

TroyD

Thanks Ray,

Very clever idea. So I created the search behavior with the 3 searches and bound them to the text box post value, but I'm not sure where you meant to add the spaces. Do I add them to the post value in the behavior?

Here is the behavior currently without any spaces added.

php:
$searchrsNameList_1 = new WA_MySQLi_Search("rsNameList","0=0");

if ((((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?$_POST["name_search"]:"") != "")) {
  $searchrsNameList_1->clearSearch();
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Begins With", "join"=>"AND", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?$_POST["name_search"]:"")  ."");
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Ends With", "join"=>"AND", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?$_POST["name_search"]:"")  ."");
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Includes", "join"=>"AND", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?$_POST["name_search"]:"")  ."");
}

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Try this:

php:
$searchrsNameList_1 = new WA_MySQLi_Search("rsNameList","0=0");

$searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Begins With", "join"=>"AND", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?$_POST["name_search"] . " ":"")  ."");
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Ends With", "join"=>"AND", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?" ".$_POST["name_search"]:"")  ."");
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Includes", "join"=>"AND", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?" ".$_POST["name_search"]." ":"")  ."");
}

TroyD

Thanks again Ray,

That worked once I changed the join from "AND" to "OR".
I noticed that if I commented out 2 of the searches, it would work to find the one search, whether it was the begins with our ends with. It would find records that matched that position. Then it dawned on me, it was looking for all of those conditions. I changed it to "OR" and it works. It's doing exactly what I need it to. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
TroyD

TroyD

Ray,

I spoke too soon and found that there is still one issue. It does a good job finding the names in a group of names but records are also returned that have that searched name within a sub string.

Using my list of example names again, it finds the "Alan" but it also returns "Alana". It's the third search I think where includes seems to find the "Alan" within "Alana" even though I have a blank space before and after the compared post value. Can you see anything I'm missing?

Currently this is what the search behavior looks like:

php:
$searchrsNameList_1 = new WA_MySQLi_Search("rsNameList","0=1");

$searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Begins With", "join"=>"OR", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?$_POST["name_search"]." ":"")  ."");
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Ends With", "join"=>"OR", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?" ".$_POST["name_search"]:"")  ."");
  $searchrsNameList_1->setSearch(array("type"=>"Key", "comparison"=>"Includes", "join"=>"OR", "and"=>", ", "or"=>" ", "start_encap"=>"\"", "end_encap"=>"\""), array("name"), "s", "".((isset($_POST["name_search"]))?" ".$_POST["name_search"]." ":"")  ."");
}

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is the issue: "or"=>" ",

That makes spaces automatically convert to "or" statements... just change that to: "or"=>"",

in all three locations.

TroyD

Thanks Ray,

That fixed it.

TroyD

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...